Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2013 21:00

Inspiron 660 - Keyboard with a shut down key (?)

I have an Inspiron 660 and an entry level keyboard with a sleep key.

Is there any keyboard with sleep and shut down keys that are compatible with my computer?

July 23rd, 2013 01:00

Hi donaldfleming,

Welcome to the Dell Community Forum,

I’d say the keyboard shipped along with the computer is the right and compatible keyboard and there’s a keyboard from Dell which gives you the Sleep option.

Right now we do not have the Shutdown key option on the keyboard from Dell, however here’s a Dell Multimedia Keyboard please check by clicking on the link below.
http://dell.to/139bctc

We have also found a third party Advanced Multi-Media Keyboard, which has the Sleep and Shutdown options you may like it. Click on the link below to find the details.
http://bit.ly/12eor0V

Let us know if this helps.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 23rd, 2013 08:00

You can make a shutdown shortcut that will do the same thing. What operating system? Any keyboard with shortcut keys can be programmed for a shutdown key. Like this one-- www.microsoft.com/.../B2M-00012 If you have windows 8, the 8.1 update that comes out soon will have a shutdown button on the pseudo-start button. You might even be able to reprogram the Sleep key.

Shutdown shortcut to place on your desktop-- C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe  -s  -t  00

July 23rd, 2013 10:00

The MANHATTAN Advanced Multi-Media Keyboard looks interesting. Unfortunately, I can't locate a retail outlet in the UK that I can buy this from. In this regard, can you suggest another suitable keyboard that can be sourced within the UK?

Also, (regarding the answer below) how would I go about creating a shut down shortcut on my existing keyboard?

Thank you for your advice, so far.

My operating system is Windows 8 (64 bit)

Thanks for your advice.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 23rd, 2013 12:00

Read me and me2.

You could also install the free Classic Shell which will give you a start button on the traditional desktop with shutdown options.

July 23rd, 2013 13:00

The reason why I'm interested in a keyboard with a shut down key is that after my computer has been in sleep mode and I wake it up, although it wakes up, the monitor doesn't wake up with it. So in order to shut the computer down, I have to depress the start button or switch off at the mains if the start button doesn't respond. I don't like doing this, so I'm interested in a keyboard with a key that I can press to shut down the computer, even though I have a blank monitor in front of me.

July 25th, 2013 03:00

Hi donaldfleming,

I appreciate your patience and since we were unable to find the keyboard availability for your region, you might have to check with a local store and see if you can find the Advanced Multimedia keyboard.

Let us know if this helps.

3 Posts

July 30th, 2013 21:00

Thanks for your advice.

No Events found!