Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 10th, 2012 21:00

Inspiron 660, Windows 8 and PCIe card

I purchased a Insprion 660 to act as my media center.  I used up all of the internal SATA ports for my hard drives and optical drive.  I wanted to add more SATA ports, so I purchased a SIIG SATA II PCIe card (SC-SAE012-S2).  When I plug the card into any of the internal PCIe ports, the operating system does not detect the card.  I can install the drivers, but Device Manager tells me that the drivers can't load.  I installed the card into another PC and it works.  I suspect that none of the PCIe ports on my machine are active.  Is there something I need to do in the BIOS to activate them?

8 Posts

March 18th, 2013 12:00

Thanks for the feedback, but I think the problem with my SATA card is not related to the operating system (Windows 8 in this case).

The problem happens before any of the OS is loaded, at the low level BIOS level.

I could have a different OS and I am sure it still would not work

The BIOS does not seem to detect the PCIe card, therefore it will not be reported when the OS loads.

I believe it is related to the interaction among the motherboard, BIOS, PCIe card, firmware on PCIe card.

For whatever reason, the Dell Inspiron 660 is very sensitive to working with PCIe cards, since these cards work on other systems. It seems compatibility testing may not have been so thorough for the 660 platform, such a shame for those of us who use various add-in cards.

March 19th, 2013 08:00

So, the question I suppose now is, what dual internal t.v. card  is actually blessed by the bios and/or windows and/or Inspiron 660??

12 Posts

March 19th, 2013 14:00

First of all, not to discredit what SpeedStep was going on about regarding Class 3 UEFI BIOS, Windows 8 64-bit, etc., BUT it is not relevant to the Inspiron 660 in certain setups.

While the Insprion 660 is booting and you see the DELL logo screen, you can press F2 to enter into the BIOS setup utility.  Once there, you can go to the "Boot" tab on the screen.

On the "Boot" tab screen, you will see an option for "Load Legacy OPROM".  The description for this option states:  "This option controls whether CSM should be loaded during POST".  The available values for this option are:  "Enabled" or "Disabled"

There is also another option for "Boot Mode".  The description for this option states:  "Select the Boot Mode of next time system POST."  The available values for this option are:  "Legacy" or "UEFI".

Lastly, there is an option for "Secure Boot control" with available values of "Enabled" or "Disabled"

Here is the setup on my Inspiron 660:

• Secure Boot control  ==>  [Disabled]
  • Load Legacy OPROM  ==>  [Enabled]
  • Boot Mode  ==>  [Legacy]
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

So I am running my system in Legacy BIOS mode and not running Windows 8 64-bit.  But still, I cannot get the system to detect my PCIe 1x Asus My Cinema-PE9400Combo tv tuner card! 

Now we all know that DELL has fixed this issue regarding PCIe 1x cards not being detected for several of their other systems via BIOS updates, the real question is:  "When is DELL going to provide a BIOS update for the Insprion 660 to fix our problems?"

The DELL Engineering  team just needs to reproduce this in their Lab and investigate the issue...and not dismiss it just because one PCIe 1x Sound Card worked!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 19th, 2013 18:00

if your bios is CLASS 3 there is NO LEGACY and NO CSM.  Since I do not own said system I have no way of knowing if its Class 1.

Secure Boot is supported for UEFI Class 2 and Class 3 computers.

For UEFI Class 2 computers, the compatibility support module (CSM) is disabled so that the computer can only boot UEFI-based operating systems. (Secure Boot)

For UEFI Class 3 computers, the compatibility support module (CSM) is removed entirely.

There is no LEGACY or CSM with CLASS3. This means Drivers as well as BIOS and Addon hardware WILL NOT Enumerate or be allowed to run unless it has a 64 bit WHQL Windows 8 Certificate and Driver.

12 Posts

March 20th, 2013 09:00

Thanks SpeedStep for the additional explanation...I now understand that you do not own an Inspiron 660 and were giving an overview of the different CLASS(s) of system BIOS(s).

My point is that since the Inspriron 660 obviously DOES support Legacy Boot and CSM, the issues surrounding CLASS 2 and 3 do not apply to it.

DELL, or whoever is responsible for the motherboard/BIOS, did not seem to perform a very thorough round of compatibility testing regarding PCIe 1x cards.  We now have numerous Insprion 660 users who cannot use their perfectly good PCIe add-on cards (various TV tuners, sound cards, SATA cards, etc.)!

When is DELL going to fix this issue with a BIOS update as they have with their other systems (XPS 8500 for example) that had the same problems?

I was told by DELL that not enough people have complained about the "PCIe 1x no detect" issue with the Inspiron 660...which is a ridiculous reason for not to fix a problem!

What do we need to do to get DELL to provide a fix for this issue!?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 20th, 2013 10:00

"My point is that since the Inspriron 660 obviously DOES support Legacy Boot and CSM, the issues surrounding CLASS 2 and 3 do not apply to it."

Actually They DO APPLY. If you want to use CLASS 2 Secure Boot you CANNOT USE CSM.  (Thats what the CLASS 2.3 Spec that microsoft demands says.) To use 3rd party MBR bios SATA cards you must use CLASS 1 Non Secure Boot with CSM Turned on aka (Legacy Mode).

For UEFI Class 2 computers, the compatibility support module (CSM) is disabled so that the computer can only boot UEFI-based operating systems. (Secure Boot) If CSM is not Disabled for UEFI booting the Bios is NOT Class 2.3 Compliant aka Not Blessed by Microsoft and WIN8 will not load.  This doesn't mean you cannot Boot WIN8 in Legacy mode.  It means you cannot change the mode to Legacy and NON SECURE Boot without reformatting entirely.

There is another parameter that affects X1 X4 X8 X16 devices.

A PCI device is not permitted to assert SERR# and yet some devices Defy the standard and Do.

UNDER CMOS SETTINGS

Maintenance

Service Tag

Displays the service tag for your computer.

SERR Message

(On default)

Some cards require that the SERR message be disabled.

LegacySelect allows administrators to electronically activate or deactivate connectors
and media devices that include serial and USB connectors, a parallel connector, a floppy drive,
PCI slots, and a PS/2 mouse.

March 20th, 2013 12:00

...so you're sayin' there's a chance?

12 Posts

April 9th, 2013 08:00

There is a new BIOS available for the Inspiron 660.  Unfortunately, I do not see any "Fixes & Enhancements" category for it.

I am sure we will find out soon enough if this fixes any of the PCIe no detect issues.  Fingers crossed.

12 Posts

April 10th, 2013 10:00

Just saw your message, thanks.  Did you have a chance to give it a try yet?

12 Posts

April 10th, 2013 11:00

@Scout12345 - Nope, I have not had a chance to update the BIOS on my 660 yet...but I will this evening.  I am skeptical that it will resolve any issues mentioned in this thread because I did not see ANY "Fixes & Enhancements" stated for this new BIOS update.  BIOS updates for other DELL systems that were having similar PCIe no detect issues explicitly called out the PCIe no detect issue had been addressed...but not this one.  Anyway, I will post my results later this evening.

12 Posts

April 11th, 2013 10:00

I updated the BIOS to A09 and re-inserted my PCIe TV tuner card...no go.  The Windows 7 Ultimate Device Manger doesn't even see / detect it.  I do not even get the yellow warning triangle that is typical for unrecognized new devices.  Very disappointed in DELL with this machine.

6 Posts

April 13th, 2013 15:00

I too am having the same problem.  Just purchased Inspiron 660 with Win 8 and even plunked down another $100 to get Win  8 Pro so I could get Windows Media Center.  I have a Hauppauge HVR 2250 dual tuner card that is not being recognized at all.  Dell support wasn't any help.  Did upgrade to A09 but it did not help either.  Posting to share  my experience as misery loves company!

April 14th, 2013 21:00

I can't get my Insprion 660 to work with a SATA Raid 1 card.

When the system boots up, the CTRL - J Raid Configuration never shows up, so I can't setup the mirror. The drive is somewhat visible to the BIOS, but I refuses to boot off of it no matter the settings in the BIOS.   The controller works fine on another PC. Please fix!

Vantec 4+1 SATA II 300 & PATA Model UGT-IS100R

April 15th, 2013 05:00

The facts are that Dell has our money now and they really could not care less. I will remember this treatment and will not buy a PC from them again.  I also work in the IT field for a very large entity and will never give my recommendation to contract with Dell.  It is sad as I remember a time when I told all those who asked, to buy a Dell.  Oh well

6 Posts

April 15th, 2013 09:00

I just ordered a "AVerMedia A188 HD Duet - Dual ATSC PCI-E TV Tuner " for $50 at Amazon - It is supposed to be Win 7 64-bit compatible and would think and much newer card.   There is also at least two data points that says it works with Win8 with the Win7 drivers.   Granted my 2250 was over 3 years old - practically ancient in this day and age!  Will let you all know how it goes.  If it doesn't get recognized, I'll just send it back, keeping my fingers crossed!

No Events found!