Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2017 22:00

Inspiron 660 motherboard alternative?

Ok, so I think my mobo is shot. After resetting bios I can't get it to boot or even post. I got it to go back into bios setup after resetting it again, but still no post/boot after. Now I can't even get back into bios. Tried both ways to reset and I get nothing. Everything powers on but no video display from via or Hdmi (using onboard gpu). So I am thinking it's time for a new mobo. I would like to get something with more features than the mib75r/mh_sg mlk mb. I want to keep my country and memory. So what are some good boards that have ddr3 slots and support the i5 processor. Also would like to be able to use my wlan card unless the new mobo has something on board already. Obviously it will need to be the same size board because I want to use this tower. Any suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 15th, 2017 08:00

The only drop-in replacement is the same board you have.  Anything else will require the purchase and/or modification of the existing hardware/wiring -- and with anything other than  Dell OEM board, the purchase of a new license for Windows.

Before replacing the board, disconnect all external peripherals except the keyboard and mouse, hold the power button for 30 sec and power up the system without the hard drive connected.  Will the system then allow you into setup?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 15th, 2017 11:00

The only drop-in replacement is the same board you have.  Anything else will require the purchase and/or modification of the existing hardware/wiring

Some Dell chassis will accept aftermarket motherboards. Having looked over some photos on eBay, I think this might be one of them (mATX).

with anything other than  Dell OEM board, the purchase of a new license for Windows.
The OEM license allows for non-OEM motherboard replacement for reasons of repair, provided the new unit is not significantly different from the original, and what the OP is suggesting should fall within that guideline.

So what are some good boards that have ddr3 slots and support the i5 processor.
If this is an 1155, there aren't many of them left on the market. Also, is your chassis the mini-tower case?

For an easy swap, I'd suggest an OEM replacement from eBay. There are few LGA 1155 boards left on the market.

No Events found!