Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 31st, 2013 12:00

Inspiron 660s won't move past Dell start-up screen

There was a storm in the area and so I unplugged my computer. I plugged it back in, turned it on and went to another room while I waited for my computer to start up. When I came back at least 15 minutes later, the screen was stuck on the Dell logo start-up screen and when I pressed F2 for the boot up menu nothing happened. I turned it off and plugged it into a different outlet but that didn't even work. If anybody has any ideas on how to fix it, that would be awesome! Thanks :)

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

July 31st, 2013 12:00

Hi irishprincess,

Try the following steps and see if it helps.

Drain the residual power from the desktop:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the rear and the front  computer
  • Then remove all the cables including power cable, monitor, keyboard and mouse from the computer
  • Press and hold the power button on the computer for 10 seconds
  • Reconnect the power cable, keyboard, mouse and monitor cable only
  • Restart the computer and check if the computer is functioning properly

I would suggest you to run the Dell Diagnostics to check the hardware functionality (if possible). Power off the computer -> restart the computer, press 'F12' key on the Dell logo -> Select ‘Diagnostics’ from the boot menu.

Please share the findings.

July 31st, 2013 18:00

Thank you! I will try that and let you know!

1 Message

June 29th, 2014 13:00

I had the same issue and but the fix didn't work for me.  I am guessing it was because I went in and changed setup options before I saw the post.  When unplugging didn't work, I went back in under F2 and tried to restore factory defaults. No success.  I still get a black (DOS) screen saying there is no boot device.

Any suggestions are welcome.  My son can't play Minecraft b/c mom messed up his computer!

Thx

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 1st, 2014 07:00

Its not a DOS Screen.  Its the bios.  The hard drive is dead.  Resetting CMOS Will not repair a physically bad hard drive.

No Events found!