Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 23rd, 2017 06:00

Inspiron Desktop doesn't recognise all the Ram memories

Hey Mates

I've got a Dell Inspiron 580s which only recognises 2gb of my 4gb ram modules (I've got 2*2gb ram). I've tested them separately and they both work fine but the device only recognises 2gb out of 4. The device is running the latest Bios version and I don't know how I could solve the problem. Here are some information regarding my PC:

Windows Home Premium (Service Pack One) 64-bit

CPU: Core i5 760 2.8 GHz

Ram: 2 * 2 GB

VGA: NVIDIA GeForce 310

Motherboard: skywalker Rev A00

Note: In the manual of the PC it's stated: Memory configurations of more than 4 GB require a 64-bit operating system. (As I've got the 64 bit OS installed then I should be fine)

Look forward to having your comments.

Cheers

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 23rd, 2017 11:00

Try one module at a time in each socket.  If one module fails in both sockets, replace it. If neither module works in one of the sockets, the socket is bad - replace the mainboard.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 23rd, 2017 14:00

See above.  It's not clear why you think there's nothing wrong.  Try one module in the first socket. Leave the other module out.  If it works there, move it to socket 2.  Then try again.  Do the same for the second module.  

Has the the system ever showed 4G with the current pair of modules?

September 23rd, 2017 13:00

Hiya

Thanks for the response. I don't think that there's something wrong with the motherboard. Both modules work fine in all of the sockets but the system seem not to add them up together. While they're both installed it only shows 2gb while it supposed to be 4gb.

Any comments?

307 Posts

September 23rd, 2017 14:00

Have you installed the two memory modules in the correct slots. According to the manual, they should be in slots 3 and 4 and the order of the slots are 3,1,4, and 2 so there should be an empty slot between the modules.

307 Posts

September 23rd, 2017 17:00

I have to update my response because the manual is confusing. The table in the manual indicates if you have two memory modules they should be installed in DIMM1 & DIMM2, but the picture calls this Pair B. For Pair A, the two modules should be installed in DIMM3 & DIMM4. You would think if you only have one pair of modules that would be Pair A. Note that there is an empty slot between DIMM1 & DIMM2 and between DIMM3 & DIMM4.

September 23rd, 2017 23:00

Hiya

Many thanks for all the responses. The problem's solved. I had to install them in different slots and there you go. It's all working fine. Thanks for the time.

Cheers

No Events found!