Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 12th, 2011 07:00

Inspiron One 2305 Blank Screen

We have an inspiron one 2305 setup with the default, from Dell, power savings settings, so after I think it is about 10 minutes, the monitor shuts off. However, recently there has been a few times when we move the mouse to get it to come back on, it doesn't, it remains blank. The funny thing is you can look at the hard drive light and see it is still doing something off & on, so I am assuming this is purely a video feed not getting turned back on to the monitor. We even restarted the computer once and you could tell that windows was loading by watching the hard drive light, but still no video. Only unplugging the power cord and plugging it back in seems to fix this when it happens.

Is this a known issue? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian

5 Posts

December 4th, 2013 12:00

I returned the modified system with  (I8KGUI) back to the owner. The resolution of the system is at 1380 X 720 per my instructions.

The user has reported no further blanking out. The family has watched Netflix,Youtube, played Facebook games, and runs high activity screensavers. The machine hasn't been off since Nov 27, and hasn't screwed up. either.

The user considers it "fixed" and wants to pay me.. I told him to give it another week...

So the workaround for the blanking screen issue for now is: Lower the resolution to 1380 or less and improve the air flow through the system heat sink.

December 4th, 2013 19:00

I never actually called Dell Techs for help, instead I looked up the problem in their forum and found this forum related to the lack of resolution by Dell so I never bothered to contact them, instead I've been hoping that the "real techs" here on this forum could find an answer.

December 4th, 2013 19:00

Agree with all that it's unfortunate that Dell has not been able to resolve problems with this computers design.  Apparently they don't care that not only will they be losing customers using computers at home, but word of mouth and those of us who make computer purchasing decisions for private and public companies will not be making recommendations to purchase ANY Dell computers now or ever!

1 Message

December 6th, 2013 15:00

I bought a dell inspiron one 2330 aio touchscreen, and within weeks had a black screen. So I went to the wed and found your thread and got no answers lol besides its a motherboard problem, so I called dell and I said screens black but I can see that it on because the power button is on, and they put me on hold then came back on the phone and said a technician wad being sent out on tuesday to replace my motherboard. So ya I hope that answers your question.        Travis.

December 7th, 2013 07:00

Since 2010 they have replaced the machine, and then a couple months ago, another motherboard. Now they want me to re-install Win 7. I just read about a new ATI driver for this problem.  I must check that out.

Update: It’s only been three days and I wanted to wait longer to report back, but I may have stumbled on the solution. After repeatedly mentioning my suspicion that this problem amdkmdag    62464 DVD_OV” errors were related, which they ignored, as well as my often repeated suggestion that they examine the event log. I retired in 2000, but was maintaining multiprogramming/processing systems since before these techs were born.  Good troubleshooting techniques don’t really change that much. This problem, as well as those entries can be seen in hundreds of web sites, including this one.

12-4:
That was the last of those errors I have seen. The driver that Dell lists is from 2010 and was in the original machine, the replacement, AND probably on the mother-board that I refused. I retired in 2000 from NCR, after 36 (thirty-six) years in that business, including servicing Dell Power-edge Servers, so I didn’t buy reload Windows. I imagine that you either solved your problem or junked the machine, but this where I found the solution, in the wee hours this morning. I may have found the solution at http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

That supposedly updates the driver and Catalyst (whatever that is).  I was able to upgrade the “driver” from v8.871.0.0 (2010) to V.970.100.1100 (4-29-2013), but Catalyst failed. There were a bunch of updates before that.  (Dell still lists that ancient driver as current). I added software support for almost $300 and easily spent 1000 hours ping-ponging back and forth between hardware & software support for the last 3 years and mentioned the thousands and thousands of log entries pointing to that ATI video, but they wanted me to reload Windows and restore with my big Seagate. I put them off until year-end and will leave it on for while.

Cheers

25 Posts

December 7th, 2013 08:00

I ran the utility but kept coming up with 8.871.0.0. Is the driver accessible without the utility? However, I googled the 970.100.1100 driver and according to AMD it is a legacy driver for the HD 2xxx, 3xxx, 4xxx series boards. It is the same driver that I mentioned in my Dec 4 post. Since the processor is referred often as HD5470/HD4200, it's worth a shot. I have it download but haven't decided whether to install or not. As most of you are aware, this is issue is really vexing for some (like me). On certain days I can start the computer and the screen will freeze in only a few minutes of unstressed activity. Other days, it will freeze only after the computer goes into screen saver mode. On other days, like yesterday, I watched a YouTube B&H Photo how-to-video full screen for almost 2 hours without a glitch. I'm really resigned to keeping my backups current and fingers crossed. At least, if a failure occurs, I still have an intact, uncorrupted hard-drive. If it takes out the entire computer, well, that's what backups are for. Never Forget Pearl Harbor.

December 9th, 2013 09:00

The ATI Radeon HD 4200 Mobility is probably the chip/driver you have.  It was confusing, and it took forever, but I was able to down the driver, but not the Catalyst <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU>, so far.

The endless ATI errors in my event log are no longer hiding other messages.

7 Posts

October 30th, 2014 08:00

I have the similar problem. The screen will freeze and turn in flicker. The mouse and keyboard will not work also.  Need to unplug the power cord to restart.

It will happen in windows safe mode and also in Dell pre diagnosis mode (command mode).

It is not seem to be related with the video driver, since no driver is loaded in safe and command mode.

The lcd screen itself works well, since I can use it as a second monitor for a laptop.

The resolution set might not work, since the command mode use the very low resolution.

Does anyone know the solution?

October 30th, 2014 09:00

Save your money, been there done that.  After replacing the machine itself, and later another motherboard. and MANY hours with support decided to give up after 4 years and simply replace it with an INTEL box.

Never AMD/ATI again.

I agree with your suspicion about the AMD/ATI chipset  and drivers, and maybe even WIndows 7.

Although I haven't  junked it, I don't really use it any more, and strongly suspect a connection with the AMD graphics.  Dell replaced it once,  tried a second time, and installed a "new" motherboard (with the original ROMBIOS)  They refused to admit to the problem although at one time their own user board was flooded with these complaints.

In the meantime, I have purchased two new machines (yes, from Dell), but they use Intel.

Oh, and they replaced The ATI drivers but I later discovered they used the originals from 2010.  I downloaded the latest from ATI.  Dell won't admit it but I think they had already bought AMD.

I am a retired network engineer from NCR and AT&T and spent countless hours on the phone with Dell, before giving up (we even serviced Dell Poweredge [?] servers, so I'm not exactly a novice after 36 years in the profession, but wish your the very best of luck!

25 Posts

I wrestled with this problem for over a year with Dell Concierge service who initially felt it was a driver problem.  I never accepted that opinion even though I loaded and reloaded AMD drivers until I was blue in the face.  Finally, with overwhelming evidence on my side, Dell techs and I came to agreement that it was a hardware problem either in the design of the video board, Dell's implementation, or hardware failure on the board itself. However, since the graphics card is integrated into the mother board, it cannot be replaced independently.  The only solution was to replace the mother board for $250. Seeing that it will still leave me with a 4 year old computer, I elected to replace it with a new XPS8700. 

7 Posts

October 30th, 2014 10:00

If no better solution for this problem. I can only use the 2305's LCD as a second monitor for my laptop and

the 2305's hard drive as the network drive.

October 30th, 2014 10:00

Their solution was to reload the OS.  Sorry, after two machines with factory loaded OS, and 36 years a Microsoft trained Network Engineer, that doesn't fly with me.

7 Posts

November 3rd, 2014 12:00

I found out the second memory slot on the MB was not working properly.

After removing the memory from the second slot, the desktop screen is coming back to work.

Remove all memory from slot 1 and 2, MB check is fail (give out two sound). Plug back one memory on slot 1, display is on. But put the same memory on slot 2 (only this memory on MB), no sound, but display is blank. Put two memory on slot 1 and 2, display is still blank.

MB can detect memory on slot 2, but this memory (all two memory are good, tested by switch them on two slots) does not work correctly with the display.

Solution: Only put one memory on slot 1 and now the display working.

It is good for DELL to give back some credit to me, since I help them finding out the poor quality of their product.

No Events found!