Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 31st, 2017 11:00

Inspiron One 2305 - Startup Problem

I recently upgraded my RAM from 4GB to 8GB.  Now, when I startup my computer, the keyboard and mouse do not work.  I have to hard boot from the on/off switch and then I get my keyboard and mouse back, and all is normal.  What's happening and how can I get it to properly startup??

9.4K Posts

August 1st, 2017 05:00

Hi riahope,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies for your computer not working as you needed it to. 

If your RAM is not matched, it can cause problems:  Mixed and matched RAM on the motherboard screws up timings, voltage, etc. It also depends on the motherboard that the RAM supports. If you take out the one RAM stick does the USB ports start working again?

Where did you purchase your RAM modules?  Dell Spare Parts or Crucial will have exact matches for your machine: http://dell.to/2vegvAc

5 Posts

August 1st, 2017 07:00

The RAM I purchased was Corsair XMS3 - DDR3 1333 Mhrz, 2x4GB sticks.  It woks fine when running but the startup is hampered by the frequent need to hard boot because of the keyboard and mouse not being loaded. I do, however, have a Wacom digitizing tablet that boots up fine and I use that to select restart when I do not have the keyboard and mouse.  It's an annoying tic that I wish I knew enough about computer technology to be able to fix myself.  I suspect it has something to do with allocating RAM addresses through the boot sequence .. then again, I may be wrong about that theory as well.

9.4K Posts

August 1st, 2017 08:00

Dell cannot guarantee RAM purchased from sources other than Dell spare parts.  Crucial will guarantee their RAM, and has been proven to be very compatible with Dell Products. 

It is possible that the RAM you purchased is not compatible.  Here is some information you may find helpful:  http://dell.to/2vePVXu

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 1st, 2017 11:00

Have you tried booting the PC without the Wacom digitizing tablet connected? Do you have the same keyboard problem?

What happens if you remove the old RAM completely and just put the new RAM in the slots that were previously occupied by the old RAM?

And what happens after you move the new RAM and then install the old RAM in the previously empty slots?

And when was last time you replaced the motherboard battery?

5 Posts

August 1st, 2017 17:00

I recently had a chat with Dell over adding RAM and what type I would need.  Here is an excerpt ...

" ... 07/13/2017 07:08:49PM Agent (TIP_Gaño E): "If you want the exact same speed of 1333, we have a VisionTek brand, VisionTek Black Label Series 4GB PC3-10600 DDR3 1333MHz DIMM 240-Pin Memory Module for $54.99 CAD"

07/13/2017 07:09:16PM Agent (TIP_Gaño E): "I believe this is for Canada purchase, you may purchase the memory upgrade on this link: www.dell.com/.../memory-memory-upgrades" ..."

Would this RAM be the correct one to purchase?  

No Events found!