Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 20th, 2010 19:00

Inspiron One 2305, buzzing

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had experienced similar issues or have any feedback. I've been on the phone with Dell tech support quite a few times and even had a technician come by to replace the hard drive and internal speakers, but the issue keeps coming back. Basically, the machine boots up with no noise and no issues. Problem is once the monitor display sleeps and I wake it up, there's this annoying buzzing sound coming from the speakers. I've updated all drivers and did everything I can think of. The buzzing noise is constant once it comes on. The only way to stop it is to reboot the machine again. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

7 Posts

January 2nd, 2011 06:00

Waiting for my 3rd 2305 to arrive....  the issue is not interference, or microphone related.  The issue is related to the display - and yes - accentuated in Excel when using highlighted/color-coded cells.  The noise frequency of the buzz changes depending on the screen's display of colors.  For instance, if working across multiple browser tabs, each tab buzzes slightly different, depending on what is being displayed.  I definitely will not be keeping a system that does not work properly, especially considering that I don't know to what extent the issue is and/or could develop into.  I'm glad this thread was started and hope Dell fixes the issue before shipping my next replacement.

January 2nd, 2011 11:00

Well, I know with extreme confidence that when I wake my machine up from sleep, that buzzing will be there. I also notice if I have multiple browsers tabs open(I use Chrome) that one some pages the buzzing gets louder. This is very weird. I will call Dell tomorrow. 

10 Posts

January 2nd, 2011 12:00

I also have this issue with my brand new Inspiron 2305.  I called Dell yesterday and they updated my bios, which did not help anything.  The representative eventually placed an order for a new machine, but I am disappointed to see that it will likely have the same problem.  I am also very frustrated by my Dell representative acting like this was a rare issue, even though I pointed him to this discussion while we were on the phone.  There is obviously some kind of hardware/software defect with these machines, and I don't think Dell is aware of the magnitude of the problem.

Just called Dell to setup the return of my noisy replacement system.  They said they are aware of the problem and their engineers are working to find a fix.  They hope to have a solution in 7-10 days, and they will call me as soon as a fix is available.  I actually spoke with several people, including the manager of the tech support representative, and I really believe they are aware of the widespread nature of the problem and are working on it . Let's keep our fingers crossed!

8 Posts

January 2nd, 2011 13:00

Another Note.  "Waking" this morning from the sleep I manually induced  last night  for my Dell One 2305, the machine is not buzzing.  Going into screen saver mode so far today has not brought on buzzing.

db

8 Posts

January 2nd, 2011 14:00

And like other observers, I find that after an autonomously initiated sleep the machine woke up buzzing.

8 Posts

January 2nd, 2011 15:00

.. but after putting the buzzy machine to "sleep" and waking it up shortly after, it was no longer buzzing.

db

January 3rd, 2011 11:00

Just got off the phone with Dell, wanted to log my problem as I was coming up on 1 month.

They updated the Realtek HD audio driver and flashed BIOS to A05.

I didn't have much hope since others had updates, but the machine seems to be quiet now!  Fingers crossed. . .

January 3rd, 2011 12:00

Are these drivers new?? I've updated all my drivers and BIOS a few times and that never seemed to fix the issue. Trying leaving the display asleep for 5 minutes and THEN wake it up..let me know if you hear the buzzing noise after that...

January 3rd, 2011 14:00

Spoke too soon!

Forced monitor sleep (1 min timeout) didn't cause hum, but when I reset to 30 min wait time and came back later--hum.  Sorry for the false alarm.

6 Posts

January 4th, 2011 08:00

It is NOT a fasle alarm! I forced my monitor to sleep in one minute and the buzz began the second I came back on. I've been trying to write to this forum since December 16. There is a definite design flaw in the Inspiron One 2305. I too got a new computer on December 16. I set it up and fell in love. Sleep mode came on and the buzzing began. I called Dell Tech and we did all the same things y'all have mentioned in your previous posts, including replacing BIOS, et al. Nothing worked. My computer was replaced. I don't like sleep mode just happening on my computer so with this new one, I turned it off. I never had a buzzing issue. As stated, yesterday, I was cleaning and wanted to clean the monitor. I forced a 1 minute sleep. The moment the screen came back on, the buzzing began and it was LOUD. Disgusted, I just turned it off and went and did something else. Then it dawned on me that I had put it in the sleep mode. I turned on the computer, no buzzing. I turned OFF the sleep mode and hibernate mode and set them to "never" and that was it. I have not had a buzzing noise since that one time yesterday.

6 Posts

January 4th, 2011 10:00

And I agree with you! They shouldn't have launched the product. They had to know of the problem. There is too high a volume for this to go unnoticed. I love Dell and will stick with my Dell. I have owned Dells since they started selling them and they generally last me 7 years. Maybe there will be a recall.

7 Posts

My buzzing noise is not related to sleep modes...  it is related to what is being displayed.  The loudest buzz is observed in Excel with color coded cells.  Various levels of the buzz are observed in switching tab to tab in a browser as well.   Clever enough, the buzz is not detected when viewing the Dell Stage custom desktop image, dark blue theater curtain screen.... perhaps that was intentional. I was suppose to hear back yesterday on when my 3rd machine was expected to ship, I've since emailed saying I want a refund instead. No response yet though...

i hear you..if the "sleep mode" was turned to off, then there would be no buzzing noise for me either..the point is that this is a brand NEW machine..i shouldn't have to tolerate the noise and work around the issue..they should've tested this AOI before launching the product..

I seriously hope Dell is aware of the issue and is working on a fix..

1 Message

January 4th, 2011 15:00

Try to hit the input button and change input and bring it back to Dell Inspiron One.

Input Button

This should make the sound go away but have BIOS ver A05 installed and check.

6 Posts

January 4th, 2011 16:00

Do you mean restore it to factory status? That doesn't work. Also, changing the BIOS doesn't work either. This is a serious design flaw that Dell must recall. It's on all the machines I've read about so far. Granted, I don't know how many of these machines Dell has sold since it's debut, but I think we have enough of the same issue going on here to show a strict design flaw that must be fixed. Otherwise, this machine is the best computer I've seen in years.

No Events found!