Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 5th, 2015 12:00

Inspiron One 2320, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Installation Order [Issues]

After installing Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (Replacing Windows 7 Home Premium).  Using the Installation Order tab, I completed the first category.

The LAN is working.  The WLAN is not working.

Suggestions?  Comments?

Attachments:

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 5th, 2015 18:00

I'm guessing you searched for drivers using your Service Tag which -unfortunately- frequently misses some essential drivers.

Since your jpg shows SM Bus Controller is flagged, it appears you didn't install the 2 Intel chipset drivers for Win 7 or Ethernet, WLAN and card reader drivers:

1. Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility
  2. Intel AMT HECI
  3. Realtek 5139 Card Reader Driver
  4. Realtek RTL8111E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  5. Atheros Wireless driver, either 1502 WLAN or  1702 WLAN+BT Combo depending on which WLAN card you have.

The 2 Intel drivers should have been installed as the very first 2 drivers after loading Win 7.  Without the 2 chipsets, other drivers may not install or may not work

Install the 2 Intel drivers in order listed above and reboot. Then install the other 3 and reboot again. Some / all of the last 3 may ask you to reboot to complete installation, so do that before moving on to the next driver.

See if that fixes things.

5 Posts

November 6th, 2015 01:00

Steps 1 through 3 resolved the driver issue.  Thank you.   

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 6th, 2015 05:00

SMBUS controller means CHIPSET drivers are not installed.  PCI devices on the bus do not enumerate properly when CHIPSET drivers are missing.

5 Posts

November 6th, 2015 09:00

Alright, that being said, and considering the updated attachment, how would you suggest I fix something that is not reporting an error?

Attachment: [ Updated after applying suggested remedy - Thanks Ron! ]

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 6th, 2015 11:00

how would you suggest I fix something that is not reporting an error?

Glad the chipsets solved the problem.

I don't understand fixing "...something that is not reporting an error".

What device and exactly what's the issue?

EDIT: Had you previously install the Realtek Ethernet driver? If you're using one that Win 7 installed it may work, but it may not be optimized for your actual Ethernet hardware.

No Events found!