Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2017 14:00

Inspiron One 2330 Won't Post

my ALL IN ONE inspiron 2330 will not post .. at first I thought the POWER button was shorting out ... because when you pushed it sometimes it would post up (YOU SEE the DELL LOGO ... then it goes on to boot up) ... but sometimes you just see a backlite that went out after a short time ...NEVER saw the dell logo .. so you can not enter the set up .. and now it does that EVERY TIME ... so something else is wrong ....

I can NOT get to the setup ... and it will not run a backup/recovery cd which I do have on hand ... and a system+ data image ... so if the hard drive just cratered I can replace it and restore ... but usually when that happens I see the machine tell you an error message ... can not find bootable device .... but this never makes it that far ... it NEVER gets to the point it tries to boot ..

machine is an older model ... but NOT many hours of use ... virtually new by my standards .... and was originally windows 8 OS that was upgraded to windows 10 about JUNE 2017 version ...

any help??

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 25th, 2017 18:00

What color is power button when it won't boot and is it steady or blinking?  Any beeps from the PC?

Try this:

Power off and unplug power cord from *rear of PC*. Press/hold Power button for ~30 sec. Reconnect power cord to rear of PC and see if it boots now.

If you're using a power strip, surge protector or uninterruptable power supply, disconnect those and connect PC directly to a known working wall outlet.

3 Posts

October 26th, 2017 10:00

thanks ron ... I tried your solution with no change in the problem ...

when i push the power button it turns white ... does not blink or pulse ... and there is NO BEEPING ...(on just ONE of the dozens of times I pushed power to observe this problem .... after it had stopped posting entirely .... MAYBE I heard a "vibrating" type noise from the machine after clicking the popwer button ... but maybe there was something else in the room did that) ... the machine is FOR SURE GETTING POWER .... at first after pushing the power button there is a "backlite effect on the screen that goes off after some time ...also ... there are buttons on the side of the monitor to push to select the input for the monitor ... like computer .... or some other input option ... and those work fine ... you can see the screen lights up so you can make your selections ...

the machine was not MOVED around, was on a backup powe3r w/surge .. so no reason for a short in the mother board or anything ... but like I said .. for a week or so before it fully quit posting .... occasionally when I pushed the power button nothing happened .. and then I push it again ... r 3 or 4 times ... and it would go ahead and post ... which originally made me think the power button was shorting out ... before I paid closer attention and noticed the power button was working fine ... so ... UNLESS there is some KNOWN DEFECT with this particular model .... my only guess is the mother board or processor shorted out ... which i thought that was EXTREEMLY rare except for some PHYSICAL impeititus or power surge??

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 26th, 2017 11:00

Could be any of a number of things, from very simple (eg, coin cell battery died) to complex (eg motherboard) or something in between (eg power supply, power button board, I/O board, converter board, touchscreen board, LCD panel, hard drive...).

Unless it's still under Dell's warranty, I think you probably will have to take it to a *reliable* local PC shop for diagnosis and a repair quote or contact Dell's Out of Warranty repair service:

www.dell.com/.../how-to-arrange-out-of-warranty-repair-on-your-dell-system

If you decide not to fix it, and your files aren't already backed up on external media, you can have the hard drive removed and installed either as a secondary drive in another PC or in an external drive enclosure with USB so you can recover your files.

3 Posts

October 26th, 2017 14:00

why would you think the power supply could be out ... when the screen/monitor powers on for non-computer inputs?? does it not just have a single power output? do you know if the power button board could send power to the screen/monitor and not the computer ... ?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 26th, 2017 18:00

The PSU has 2 power connection cables, main power cable and CPU power cable. If the PSU failed, it might not have enough output for both.  I'm not saying the PSU has failed, I just listed it as a possible "medium level" problem. And PSUs -in general- probably fail more frequently than motherboards.

If your power button remains white, even when it won't boot, and the monitor backlight goes out after a while, it might one of the boards (eg, converter, I/O board) that drive the video output to the display. And if the LCD isn't getting a video signal, it may go into Power Saving mode and turn off the backlight.  Again, I'm just making suggestions here, not diagnosing any actual problem that only a hands-on examination and parts swap can confirm.

No Events found!