Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2012 16:00

Inspiron Zino HD 410 - Incorrect Service Tag in BIOS

I purchased a new Zino HD arround Dec 2010.  Worked great until about 1 minute after the warranty expired then the MB died.  Could not power on/off.  Bought a used THJX5 MB, installed it and the Zino works great again.

Only issue is the Service Tag in the BIOS does not match the Service Tag number on bottom of machine - I know this is not an problem....but

I would like to overwrite the Svc Tag on the used MB to match the original Svc Tag.  Why?  I like tinkering with stuff and it makes it easier to find s/w updates, etc.  My system used to automatically be detected when I searched for updates but not anymore.

Searched the H/W forum found applications "Asset.com" and "SVCTAG.exe" - downloaded them, saved to a bootable CD but they appear to be too old to run with the Zino 410.  I typed in "Asset.com /s xxxxxxx" and crossed my fingers.  Asset.com generates a message along the lines of "Service Tag not supported by this system."

Is there an updated version of these tools that will reset the Service Tag on the Zino?

I am hoping a benevolent Dell employee reads this, takes pity on me, and emails me the tools or a link to the tools.

If, on the other hand, it is not possible to change the Service Tag on the used MB, I would like to know that as well, just because I am curious.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 24th, 2012 05:00

Hi EFEgypt,

For the purpose of upgrades, drivers, reinstalling the OS, etc., the service tag on the motherboard is the one you should use, not the one on the case.

3 Posts

June 24th, 2012 07:00

Osprey,

The Service Tag in the BIOS for my replacement MB is "0000000" - so that is not helping me at all.  I believe that somehwere in RoundRock there is a software tool that will let me assign to correct tag number.  C'mon Dell guys, if you could email me the .iso for a fixit CD that would be really appreciated!

3 Posts

June 24th, 2012 17:00

Excellent news on the third party utilities!!  Sorry I am so ignorant can you just send me the names or links for a couple and I will give them a try?  Thanks!!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 24th, 2012 17:00

Sorry to say, I don't work for Dell. There are plenty of third party utilities for doing this.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 26th, 2012 08:00

If you have Google, you could search. I'm not going to provide links here.

No Events found!