Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 5th, 2012 10:00

Inspiron desktop stuck on "Resuming Windows"

I have a Dell Inspiron desktop (I3 processor) less than a year old running 64 bit Windows 7 with all recommended updates up-to-date.  When I press the power button, first I get the screen  'DELL Inspiron  F2 setup     F12 boot options';  after a few seconds on that screen it displays "resuming windows", then the screen goes blank and doesn't react to any input.  The only thing I can do press the power button again to power off. 

At the message for F12 boot options, F12 does not work; neither does F6 or F8 or any other function key except F2.  I can get into the F2 set up menu but it does me no good.  I cannot get to Safe Mode, diagnostics, or any reboot.  I thought I had taken all the precautions by creating System Recovery Discs and a Repair Disc, but these are useless.  I have tried putting each in the DVD drive, but apparently the system is not even looking for a boot drive - it just goes directly into "Resuming Windows".

So now I am totally stuck and cannot do anything with the system.

I have searched the internet for this problem (from another PC), and all I find are suggestions about booting into Safe Mode or such, which are no help because I can't even boot, period.

I have tried unplugging the power completely, hoping it would reset, to no avail.

Is there anything I can do?  Even to open the case and reset something to make it boot?  Take out the battery or disconnect the hard drive?

I am desperate to be able to do anything.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 6th, 2012 16:00

Pressing the power button and holding it down is how you perform an emergency shutdown. It is only used as a last resort. This used mostly for laptops that have battery power, but can be used for desktops when you cannot shutdown normally. It is not good to copy a failing hard drive since you might copy errors. Contact dell support for a hard drive replacement and request one with windows 7 already installed. Make copies of your personal files now to disk or external hard drive. Do not wait until Monday, contact them now. Support is open 24/7. Yes. Hibernation can follow sleep, depending on your Power settings.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 5th, 2012 15:00

If this computer is really  less than a year old, you are still under warranty. Contact Dell Support for help. It sounds like you could have a hardware failure. The message 'Resuming windows' means it was in Hibernation, not turned off. Try holding down the power button for 10-20 seconds until the computer turns off completely. Then try to reboot. Tip--when you try a reboot, don't wait for the Dell screen. Keep tapping the F12 key right away until it goes to the Boot Menu. If you can get to the boot menu, try running the Dell Diagnostics. Contact support for warranty service.

To get help here in the user to user forum, you should always mention your exact model and operating system

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

January 5th, 2012 15:00

Was any hardware or software added just prior to this issue?

54 Posts

January 6th, 2012 14:00

Chris,  No, no hardware or software were added just prior to this issue.

Mary G, Thanks.  I held down the power button longer when I turned it off.  Then when I turned it back on, the F12 key was recognized.  I went into Dell Diagnostics and the basic tests said everything was good.  Eventually I got into 'problems by symptom' or some such and chose 'cannot boot OS'.  It ran a very long disc test and found a disk error, and said disk should be replaced.  I'll call Dell Monday about warranty service.  I dread getting a new disk and having to get Windows 7 and all its updates and Norton Security Suite (from Comcast), and all my data back onto it, but it's better than the situation I was in.

Maybe there's a way I can completely back up the whole disc and just copy it back to a new system disc.  I've used only a small portion of the total disk so far.

To have gotten the "Resuming windows" message, I might have left it in Sleep state overnight instead of shutting it down.  I guess that eventually goes to hibernate, right?

I've never heard to hold the power button down longer.  Is that generally recommended, or are there just certain situations where it does something different than just pressing it briefly?

1 Message

July 24th, 2012 08:00

My my windows xp dell computer is also staying in the "resuming windows"screen and I'm running a diagnostic test now. If this doesn't work, you mentioned. It said no problems found and asked if I wanted to run a memory test. I did. You mentioned to the other person to cope all personal files but how do you did that if I can't get it to work? An I going to lose all my pictures and other personal info on my computer? My laptop if almost 5 years old
No Events found!