Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 22nd, 2011 00:00

Installation of Noctua NH-U9B SE2 CPU cooler for XPS8300

Hello: I am XPS8300 user from Hong Kong, Anyone tell me that is the Noctua NH-U9B SE2 CPU cooler install to XPS8300 i7 2600? Thks. http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=31&lng=en&set=1

119 Posts

June 22nd, 2011 19:00

It will fit in the case but the Noctua fans are 3 pin the Dell uses 4 pin for motherboard fan control.You can power the Noctua fans off the power supply using either a fan controller are wiring adaptor and keep the Dell fan hooked to the motherboard used as an extra case fan.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 22nd, 2011 06:00

Dell has proprietary cooling and therefore I would say no its not going to fit nor is it going to work as the system will shutdown with Fan Failure message since the fans are not standard.

1 Rookie

• 

117 Posts

June 22nd, 2011 23:00

Thanks for your advice, can I use any convert or adaptor between 3pin to 4pin to solve the problem?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 23rd, 2011 05:00

The Dell proprietary CPU cooling fan has addtional electronic components on it and it "reports" to the BIOS.  It's not a simple matter of a connector adapter.

119 Posts

June 23rd, 2011 13:00

In the past you would get a fan error if you try to replace the Dell cpu fan with an aftermarket cooler. The Dell fans use to have a temp sensor built in on the older models like the Dimension-3000's that caused this.You can buy coolers that have a 4-pin fan like some of the Zalmans models that you can power off the motherboard on the newer Dells though.If you want to use the Noctua that has 3-pin fans this is how i would hook it up i would power the two Noctua fans straight from the power supply using a power adapter and remove the Dell fan from the heatsink and move it to the front of the case and keep it powered off the motherboard you can buy an extension adapter to relocate the fan.

I use Zalman ZM-MC1 Multi-connector to power the fans off the power supply but if you still have the Dell power supply it probably want have molex only SATA.

Here is what the extension looks like to relocate your Dell fan.

1 Rookie

• 

117 Posts

June 24th, 2011 13:00

Thk for your pictures, I had convert 3pin to 4pin for cpu fan. But I worry the base frame of cooler cannot fix on Dell's motherboard than the fan.

119 Posts

June 24th, 2011 18:00

Hmm,i may try it myself when i get time to change back to the Dell motherboard.The only difference i see in the Dell motherboard  is threaded inserts where the heatsink mounts.

1 Rookie

• 

117 Posts

July 31st, 2011 09:00

I discovered the cpu socket frame cover is screwed with cpu fan base plate together on mortherboard which to cause cannot replace the base plate in order to install new cpu cooler's base plate. How to solve it......??

No Events found!