Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

January 28th, 2009 13:00

Installing 800MHz RAMM in XPS 700 issue latest BIOS 1.4.1 hard Crashing, slow down.

Manufacturer :    Dell XPS DXG061
Mainboard :    Dell 0YF432
Chipset :    nVidia nForce4 SLI Intel Edition
Processor :    Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 1866 MHz
Physical Memory :    4096 MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card :    NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS
Hard Disk :    WDC (250 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive :    TSSTcorp CDRWDVD TS-H493A
DVD-Rom Drive :    TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H553A
Monitor Type :    LCM-19v7 - 19 inches
Network Card :    Broadcom Corp BCM5750A1 NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
Operating System :    Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3
DirectX :    Version 9.0c

I am running 4 GB 667MHz unmatched right now.(junk that I bought,  faster than the 1GB dell sticks it came with.)

but I am trying to get a matched pair of Corsair XMS2 - 6400 5.5.5.18 to run. I can get a boot up but will result in a hard crash (to auto restart) no codes or window error logs on this. I have also tried running just one stick same results.this can be from a minute almost instantly to well into an hour. This does not happen with the 667MHz 4GB unmatched.

This is the second set the first had a bad sector. this set test fine on memtest. I thought maybe I need to set something in the Bios (I am running the 1.4.1 latest update that is supposed to allow support for 800MHz, I do know as well that I will only get about 3090 MB out of the ramm. I have tried as well setting the bios to allow overclocking (but I do not have a overclocking program to set the timings and voltage, if anyone can point me to it (one). (EDIT I found the N-tune- any sugestions on setting the timings? the mem in now is at 5.5.5.14

I love this giant PC and so far it has been great until the recent slow down (why I decided to upgrade to good ramm) I am also thinking it could be with the 2 year old 7900GS gpu??? but why only with those sticks of ramm? (recommended by Dell on my service tag?)Have also noticed a lot of HD activity (well the light seems to blink all the time this seems to have come along with the slow down as well.

No Virus, no maleware etc. (I have extensively made sure using every trusted program out there)

and on a side note any recomendation for a better CPU? that will fit on this Mobo? (Dell 0YF432)

Thanks for any help

1 Message

January 12th, 2010 15:00

Hey - I have an XPS 700 with very similar spec and I'm having exactly the same problems with a pair of dell-branded 800Mhz 2GB. Similar symptoms to you. By now you should have sorted your problem (I notice it was last year) can you provide any advice?

whats weird is I don't know loads about computers, so followed the upgrade memory thing on dell.com - they recommended these to me.

Help!

January 15th, 2010 18:00

I never did get an answer or get any thing more than the 667Mhz DDR2 to work, but its real slow  with that unmatched pair. I even went to a Nvidia 9800GTX+ 

The next step may be to try Windows 7 64 bit in it  {read that this ramm set up with that memory was for the VIsta 64 bit only!!} (but I am afraid it wont work (although it says its 64 bit ready I am hearing that its really not on these dual cores.

If I had the cash I would just build one from the ground up. But .....  I LOVE this darn old thing..

As well no answers anywhere on a new CPU for it (the ones that should work are no longer even close to good anymore, and very hard to find if at all)

Answering hoping someone will pop in with some help maybe.

BTW the Corsair I tried was EXACTLY what the DELL upgrade said to use.  sadly they never helped me either :(  just said its not supported yet they said to use it????  makes me wonder if this mother board is the one that should have been replaced for FREE and just missed the deadline and don't want to loose me as a customer, I bought two XPS laptops last year , and these will be my last DELL product as, little things like this should be easy to help us with!

No Events found!