Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

March 18th, 2008 08:00

Installing WindowsXP on XPS 420... SATA RAID driver

Hello,

I am trying to install WinXP and this is somewhat difficult as the CD doesn't recognize my harddisk drives (or at least I think that's the problem, I get a Blue Screen of Death when I try to boot from the installation CD). I have a XPS 420 system that came with 2 Seagate Barracudas 320 GB in RAID 0 mode. Do I have to incorporate the driver into the XP installation CD, or am I mistaken?

Searching for the right driver, I've found that : http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=fr&l=fr&s=gen&releaseid=R173412&SystemID=DIM_PNT_9200_XPS_420&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=EN&deviceid=16825&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=41&fileid=235720

Could anyone please confirm that this is the driver that I need? 

2 Intern

• 

935 Posts

March 18th, 2008 09:00

Yes, that's the SATA RAID driver file you need to install during the XP installation when you press F6. You need to run that file which will extract files to a folder of your choice. Copy the files to a floppy disk. Then, press F6 when you see the message at the bottom to press F6 to install 3rd party SATA or RAID drivers. You will need a floppy drive (A). If you don't have a floppy drive, you will want to consider using nLite (v1.4.1) to slipstream those files in a new XP install CD which combines the XP CD with the drivers. Then you won't have to press F6 to load them. nLite's Guides page gives you instructions on how to slipstream.

If you aren't going to use RAID, go into your system setup (F2) and turn RAID off for the 2 drives. Then you won't need the SATA/RAID drivers.

Good luck.

2 Intern

• 

935 Posts

March 18th, 2008 10:00

I haven't used RAID 0 so I can't advise on performance.

From what I understand, if you delete the RAID 0 volume or reset the drives to non-RAID, you will lose all data on both drives. And you will need to reinstall your OS, apps and restore your data. You can use your Dell OS DVD that came with your system to reinstall Vista. You can still do a dual boot between XP and Vista. Install XP first, then Vista.

If you think you'll ever want to use RAID again in the future, it's best to leave RAID enabled in the BIOS. Unfortunately, the drawback is having to install the RAID drivers whenever you install a Windows OS. Anytime you change the BIOS to enable or disable RAID you have to reinstall your OS and apps.

Message Edited by keithg2 on 03-18-2008 04:50 AM

14.4K Posts

Also if you want to use the ESata port I believe you need to keep Raid on in the Bios

31 Posts

Thanks A LOT for your answer.

I was indeed planning to use nLite. Another question though... I know the risks associated to RAID 0. But I don't really know if the performance difference is great or actually in practice small. Do you suggest me disabling RAID 0?

And... If I disable RAID 0, I will also have to format everything, so that I cannot do dual boot right?

Is it possible to reinstall Vista later, using the recovery DVD that came with the computer?

If someone knows please answer, that would really help. Thanks 

31 Posts

March 18th, 2008 11:00

Nice info. Thanks :smileyhappy:

I think I'll just keep the RAID 0 enabled for now, as I haven't got any critically important data, and I do backups anyway.

Now then, there's one more thing I don't understand. I downloaded the driver and nLite. However, I don't know what to add exactly in nLite.

There are several files when I unzip the driver, including two .inf files. Do you I have to choose both of them separatedly or do I have to add the whole folder by choosing "Multiple driver folder" when you click "Insert" in nLite?

A picture of the folder...

Message Edited by exile4 on 03-18-2008 07:12 AM
Message Edited by exile4 on 03-18-2008 07:14 AM

14.4K Posts

Add all of them.

31 Posts

Do you know the difference between "Regular PNP driver" and "Textmode driver"?

31 Posts

March 18th, 2008 14:00

Okay I've managed to install Windows XP but I have a huge problem : no sound! And the Sigmatel audio driver isn't working at all... I am sure to have downloaded the right one. When I try to install it, it first unzips the files and I am asked to reboot. After that, it tries to install the driver, but everytime I get a "Your computer is not supported" message...

Please help :smileysad: 

31 Posts

March 18th, 2008 15:00

While I was searching around on the web I came across people saying that you need to install a patch from Microsoft, KB888111. I tried that but it didn't work. I even tried the drivers for Vista, to no avail of course.

I am getting desperate

31 Posts

March 18th, 2008 16:00

Thanks keithg2

I was going to write about that because I've just found the solution, buried deep into another website. Sound works now!!

This was driving me mad...

And I would like to thank everyone in this thread, you have been very helpful. 

Message Edited by exile4 on 03-18-2008 12:22 PM

2 Intern

• 

935 Posts

March 18th, 2008 16:00

Here's how you fix the Sigmatel audio driver issue for XP.

After installing the chipset drivers then the Sigmatel drivers, an error message appears after the reboot of the audio driver install of "This system does not support the sound device". Make sure that the Integrated Audio is ON in the BIOS.

If it is,

1. Go into Device Manager and scroll down to System Devices.
2. There should be a PCI device with a yellow exclaimation point. Right click it and select Update Driver.
3. Check "No not at this time". Check "Install from a list or specific location". Check "Include this location in the search".
4. Navigate to the C:\DELL\drivers\R124105\WDM folder. Click Next. The driver should install.
5. Under Other Devices, right click the audio device and select Update Driver.
6. Repeat step 3 and 4.

Order I used for driver install:
Chipset
Modem
Network
Video
Audio
Intel Storage Manager
Intel ViiV (This will remove the "Other Devices" entry for ACPI, but is for XP MCE only)

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 19th, 2008 03:00

Всем привет. Здесь кто-нибудь по русски говорит?

У меня вопрос по установке на sata2 raid.

Is here anyone talking russian?

No Events found!