Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2016 15:00

Installing a 2nd SATA Drive

I have a Dell XPS 8900 I7 with a 2TB Sata and a 32GB Caddy Card. I tried to add a 500GB SATA drive and everything worked except I got a error that thought I was setting up a RAID.

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

August 17th, 2016 13:00

You are in RAID if I remember correctly due to the 32GB cache drive.  Intel's Rapid Storage system runs the main HDD and the Cache drive using the RAID chipset.  I think you can go into the RAID BIOS and initialize the 500GB drive on the RAID chipset but not in the main RAID array.

4 Posts

August 17th, 2016 17:00

I'm new to Windows, like 5 days, I've learned a lot and have all my old programs, at least the ones I needed, all running. I don't even know how to go into the RAID BIOS and don't want to mess anything up. If you could give me a few instructions, that would be great. Thanks for your help.

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

August 18th, 2016 11:00

Hello!  So its been a long time since i've had a computer with RAID, but I did find this Dell article. If that doesn't work, hopefully someone else can chime in as well. 

4 Posts

August 18th, 2016 12:00

I don't want to setup RAID I just want to add another SATA drive. When I plug the drive into the mother board I get an error message on boot up that RAID isn't setup properly.

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

August 18th, 2016 14:00

From what you stated it sounds like your computer came factory with RAID already set up.  You have the main HDD and the 32GB SSD which is acting like a cache drive.  That is Intel's Rapid Start or Rapid Storage technology which requires RAID to work.  In order to use your 2nd HDD with your current configuration, you will have to set up the drive in the RAID BIOS as far as I know.

4 Posts

August 18th, 2016 16:00

So far that is what I have learned from the error. It wants to use the newly added SATA drive as part of the already set up system. The problem I'm having, and this is so stupid, is that I'm using an old dell wireless keyboard and mouse that has it's own Bluetooth controller, which I should pull out of the monitor USB port and make sure it runs off the computers Bluetooth.  Then I should have a wired mouse and keyboard connected so I can go into the BIOS settings, right now there is no keyboard and mouse when I go there. Then turn off raid on the SATA drive that I'm installing? That's what the error is looking like. My computer is running faster than anything I've had before and I don't want to screw it up. I really thank you for your help and if you can come up with anymore ideas, let me know. Thanks again Mark

No Events found!