Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2009 15:00

Installing a drive for RAID on old system

Hi,

I have a 420 XPS system which I have used for a couple of years. I m increasingly worried about the stability of the system and am contemplating the possibility of installing a second drive on the system as a local level of redundancy to the network based backups I have.

I was curious to know if would be possible to to install a new drive and have the system use it as a mirror RAID1 without having to reinstall the operating system??

Is that possible at all or am I going to have to reinstall VISTA rather than waiting for Windows 7?

- Benjamin

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 29th, 2009 16:00

blawrie

Benjamin.

For 'How to Set up RAID' information, check out pages 31-40 of your XPX 420 Owners Manual HERE.

You need the PDF version.

Bev.

2 Posts

September 29th, 2009 16:00

Cheers for that Bev.

So if I read that correctly - I need to install the drive and then enable RAID1 in the bios and it should build the replication from that point?

* EDIT*

Reading the manual again; it first states that in order to maintain the data I should use Intel Matrix Manager, however it then later states that creating the volume deletes all data. Am I just reading this wrong.

Also, as a side note, I currently cannot locate Intel Matrix Manager on my computer - is this something which is only enabled once I enable RAID at software level?

No Events found!