Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 29th, 2006 13:00

Internet commection

On my Dimension 8400 I have an Ethernet connection installed but when I try to switch from USB to the Ethernet connection although it seems to work fine and shows as enable in Broadcom Control Suite 2 and shows I am connected it does not work.  When I try to connect to the Internet I have no success.  I followed instruction found on the Internet for changing to Ethernet from USB but no luck.  I tried talking to my ISP and they said it was Norton Internet Security blocking me but when I talked to them they ran me through a few tests and said it was not Norton.  I also downloaded Dell's Network program and when I ran repair it showed my computer as connected but a fault with my router which I presume means my modem.  I have a Motorola Cable Modem SB4200 and when connected with ethernet all the light do what they are supposed to do - a mystery to me - can anyone help me?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 29th, 2006 13:00

I've found, doing troubleshooting, if you switch connections and don't repower everything, including the broadband modem it will not connect. 

My suggestion is to power off the PC, power off the broadband modem.  Connect the Ethernet cable between the PC and the broadband modem.  Power up the broadband modem and let it go through the "training" sequence and when it's fully sync'd up then power on the PC and let it boot up.  See if the gets them "talking" to each other.

446 Posts

July 29th, 2006 15:00

fireberd,

You are an excellent man to have around, I have seen many of your other posts, you know "the stuff" pretty well! Cable and DSL internet is actually pretty new in terms of years the general public has been using it, so knowledge is not as readily available as the old modem connection stuff. A couple years ago my Chiropractor called me to his office and said he couldn't get his broadband to work, I was pretty green at it myself ( embarrassing for a tech), but after a few minutes of fooling around I did just that (what you said above) and saved face! My Chiro thinks I am a genius now. LOL! :smileyvery-happy:

I have done many more of them since then.

5150Guy

Message Edited by 5150Guy on 07-29-200611:02 AM

53 Posts

July 30th, 2006 04:00

Fireberd, I agree with 5150Guy, and I think you'll hear back that your suggestion worked out just fine.

July 30th, 2006 15:00

I have connected back to USB to reply and checked  the support tab.  As I said it says manually configured when I am connected by Ethernet and Assigned by DHCp when connected with USB - does that help

I have done that and it tells me there are no problems and that I am connected at 100mbps.  Still no Internet connection.  On the support tab it says I am manually configured - is that right? 

446 Posts

Hi,

Click open the connection (Start, network connections) or the control panel network connections, check the connection you are having trouble with see if it is disabled, if so enable it. If it is functioning, navigate to "properties", "support tab", click repair.

Post back with info/progress

5150guy

Thanks for the advice - unfortunately I did as you said and it still does not work.  The onnection symbol (two computers) in the system tray says I am connected and the light shows as green in the Broadcom Suite but I still cannot access the internet until I switch back to USB which works without any powering down.  Any more suggestions anyone??

446 Posts

July 30th, 2006 16:00

Try taking the USB adapter/connection out completely (hardware).

Back to the control panel under connection properties, look at the "general" tab again, click internet protocol (TCP/IP) click properties button, under that general tab make sure both radio buttons are set to automatic.

Restart the puter and try again with Ethernet connection in place.

I'm running out of ideas here, you might want to do a search on the internet using Google for this type of problem, there is a lot out there.

5150Guy

July 30th, 2006 18:00

Thanks for your help but it still doesn't work.  I will try Google as suggested or maybe just stick to my USB at least it works!!

July 31st, 2006 09:00

Hi to everyone who helped me with this problem.  After having no success yesterday I decided to try one last time this morning (the comouter had been powered odd all night)  I tried the first suggestion made and EUREKA it worked.  Thanks again as this was driving me Crazy.

53 Posts

July 31st, 2006 10:00

Glad to hear that you finally hit the right sequence at the right time.  These machines can be a real PIA sometimes, can't they?
No Events found!