Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2013 15:00

Just an anomaly?

Or is a sign that low end desktops are a dying breed? I’m sure the margins on a $299 machine are too low to worry about good quality control. I’ve always bought low end because it meets my needs just fine (not a gamer) but this last experience makes me wonder. CPU fan DOA. OK, it happens I guess. But then I read reviews of the 660s and saw many negatives (never thought of looking at reviews because I’ve always been happy with Dell.) And they run the gamut from video issues, booting issues, sound – you name it.

It will be over two weeks from the time I called this in to the time I get my replacement machine. So I’m without a computer (that I’ve paid for) until then. At first I was very upset, and then thought it through – low end desktops probably  aren’t worth producing anymore, so it's really buyer beware.

803 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 17:00

Hi www1607,

Thanks for posting your comments and bringing this to our notice. We appreciate your feedback because it plays an important role in evaluating our products and services. CPU going DOA is totally unforeseen and I find it hard to believe that has happened because it's a low-end desktop. Electronic devices are prone to failures and we have warrantied the system in order to support these issues. Having said that, if the same component fails at regular intervals, I'm sure the product group will investigate it. Reviews about the 660s are random because every desktop is configured with different vendor related parts ie video cards, CPU and memory hence we cannot attribute these failures to the fact that these are low-end desktops.

If you've already asked for a replacement and if it's being processed, I would consider the case closed. Should you allow us to replace the CPU, please provide the service tag and name on the account through Private message so that I can set up a replacement by sending a technician.

To send a Private Message, click my Dell- User name and click 'Send a Private message'.

3 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 11:00

Thanks for your response.  It is not the CPU that's dead; it's the CPU Fan.  And yes, it's being replaced.  And I realize that things like this happen from time to time.    I just wish I could have been pushed up the queue for a replacement.  My ship date is 10 days from the time Dell agreed to replace it.  That's no faster than had I placed a new order that day.  I won't call it poor service or poor quality.  But it certainly isn't good service either.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 3rd, 2013 12:00

Did you check the motherboard to see if the fan just got unplugged?

The way shipping companies bounce things around, anything / everything can happen.

803 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 19:00

You can send a Private message with the service tag or dispatch number so that I can follow it up.  

To send a Private Message, click my Dell- User name and click 'Send a Private message'.

No Events found!