Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 7th, 2007 18:00

Keyboard Failure - BIOS update

Hello,

I use the desktop Dimension 4300.  When my computer starts I get a 'keyboard failure' message. I am unable to access the bootmenu, recovery console, safe mode etc.   I run winXP and want to update my BIOS in the hopes of making a recently acquired 320gig external hard drive copy more smoothly. My BIOS version is A02.
I downloaded the BIOS update file, made a floppy, but alas, given my 'keyboard failure' issues,  my computer will not boot to A:     I use a wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse. I've had the 'keyboard failure' problem for awhile and cannot pinpoint when it started.
Can this computer be saved?
Thank you in advance for your insights, help.
Brava

5.8K Posts

October 7th, 2007 20:00

Did you try a normal wired keyboard? They are good for situations like this.

Did you check the batteries and connections on your wireless keyboard? Did you try resetting it?

Peter

4 Posts

October 7th, 2007 22:00

Peter,

Thanks,

The problems already occured with a previous 'regular' keybord. And yes, I checked the batteries.  Everything looks fine everywhere I check.

Brava

5.8K Posts

October 7th, 2007 22:00

One more thing that might be obvious: don't press the keys too early. I find if I am pressing the keys before the F2/F12 prompt, I will get the keyboard error.

The only other thing that might help is to reset the CMOS settings. I would also unplug the power cable and press the power switch for 10 seconds to discharge the PSU completely. If some component is in a bad state, that should reset it. Might not help, but shouldn't hurt!

Peter

4 Posts

October 8th, 2007 02:00

Peter, I have tried everything except the CMOS part. I have no idea what CMOS is. I ahve to read up on it. Is there no other way besides booting from a floppy to update the BIOS??? Can this not be done from windows? My BIOS are version A02 and have a date of 9/10/01! Cheers! Brava

5.8K Posts

October 8th, 2007 03:00

There is a jumper to reset the CMOS settings (these are the various settings used in the BIOS setup program). If they are corrupted, you can get strange behavior. Hence, it is a good idea to try it.

See here.

I know I can update the BIOS for my machines from Windows. I have not done it from a floppy for quite awhile. You will have to get for your machine to see what the options are.

Peter

Message Edited by PETER345 on 10-07-2007 09:05 PM

5.8K Posts

October 8th, 2007 20:00

The CMOS settings can be reset without a keyboard. That is the point. Sometimes when people have problems with USB keyboards that is the only approach to get it working again.

Peter

brava,

Oh, I don't know much about software. 

So, you're thinking about messing with your CMOS and BIOS?    Be very careful.  A keyboard is needed to adjust BIOS.  Keyboard loads during very early boot-up.

Without a keyboard "found" during the boot-up I am unaware of any way to manuever around inside a BIOS SYSTEM SETUP to accomplish most commands.   Do your homework first.  Prosper.

Thanks Peter345,

As Johnny Carson used to say, "I did not know that."

81 Posts

October 9th, 2007 00:00

For what its worth Brava, I just retired my old Dimension 4300 and I got the keyboard failure message from the first day I owned until today.  It never made any difference, and the pc always ran fine, and my keyboard too.

Also, AO2 is the latest version for the BIOS.

Message Edited by FullCry on 10-08-2007 09:45 PM

4 Posts

October 9th, 2007 01:00

Hello and thank you, This coming weeknd a friend is coming over. He will do this for me - jumpstarting the CMOS. He is a software engineer and knows enough about computers that I trust him with this. I certainly don't trust myself with fiddling with the CMOS. It sounds to me like this is the last resort. I'll post and share how this will turn out. Brava
No Events found!