Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 26th, 2014 14:00

Keyboard Failure Bios won't boot if keyboard plugged in

I have an Inspiron 660s and just recently it started giving me issues. It wouldnt load the bios. It would stay on the loading screen and freeze.

After some tinkering I found out it had something to do with the Keyboard. when i removed the USB from the keyboard the bios would read "keyboard failure" then load. the mouse and all other usb devices work on it but not the keyboard.
after much tinkering eventually the computer was stuck in a loop of trying to repair itself (luckily when it did load i backed up my files)

so i resetted it to factory default and reinstalled the OS. But even so the bios won't load as long as the USB for the keyboard is plugged in, i have to keep it unplugged whenever i turn my computer on and after the "keyboard failure" message pops up then i can plug the keyboard back and it will work.
I don't know what to do to bi-pass this error. I can't enter the bios menu without a keyboard to press F2 but i cant load the bios with it plugged in.

I've tried many things from removing the CMOS battery, restarting the CMOS to factory default, updating the bios, etc etc.... so if anyone can give me an idea of how to fix this issue please share your knowledge with me.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 26th, 2014 14:00

Hi Megamariox,

When you tried a different keyboard, what happened?

2 Posts

August 15th, 2014 16:00

Magamariox --

Did you find a solution to this problem?  I am having the *exact* same problem with the exact same computer (Dell Inspiron 660s).  

2 Posts

August 15th, 2014 17:00

Found the solution -- at least for my machine.  The ALT key was stuck.  I guess Windows won't launch when the ALT key is depressed.

No Events found!