Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 22nd, 2009 12:00

Keyboard failure after startup

My Dimension 4700 is having issues.  First, the AIO 922 printer stopped working.  As I ran through many different options to make it work, I decided to restore the system to a point a few weeks ago when it was working.  The system restore ran fine, but when the computer restarted I couldn't use the keyboard (the mouse works fine).  The keyboard DOES work until the Windows logo comes on the screen (ie. I can access the Boot and Setup menus).  I tried starting in Safemode and I tried plugging the keyboard into a different USB port, but still the keyboard won't work.  The worst part is that I have a password-protected login, so I can't get past the login screen because I can't type my password.  Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get the keyboard working again, or even how to get into the system so I can back up my files and reinstall the OS?  I'll try anything at this point!!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 22nd, 2009 13:00

Additional thoughts:

You could try running System Restore from Safe Mode to undo the restore which wiped out your keyboard inside Windows, and/or to try a different restore date.  You can find instructions to run System Restore from Safe Mode here.

Ron

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 22nd, 2009 13:00

Reboot and press F8. Select "Last Known Good" from the menu.

If that doesn't help, you may need to run a Windows Repair/Reinstall. Do you have it XP or Vista on the hard drive, and what Service Pack number? What version and service pack of Windows do you have on CD? Personal files and software are not affected by a Repair/Reinstall.

Ron

March 22nd, 2009 18:00

Thanks for the advice.  The last known good configuration didn't fix the problem, but doing the system restore from safe mode did.  I really appreciate it!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 23rd, 2009 10:00

Glad that helped.  Now what about the original printer problem? Is that fixed too?

And remember that any software updates or Microsoft fixes originally installed after the date used for the restore will have to be reinstalled. So go to the Microsoft site and let it scan your system for missing updates and reinstall those asap .

Ron

April 1st, 2009 14:00

I am having the same problem on my Dimension 8100 XP SP2. when i press F8 I can't even make a selection to "last Known Good" because my keyboard is not working at that point. My computer says "windows did not start succesfully" and gives me choices on how to start (safe, safe with networking,...) but I can't select because my keyboard is not working. I can't boot from CD because it says "press any key to boot from CD" but it won't recognize any keys.

I think I have big problems somewhere because my CPU time resets to 00:00 but the date is OK.

Please advise. Thanks so  much.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 1st, 2009 18:00

maryfsan -

Is this a USB or PS/2 keyboard? Have you tried a different keyboard or tried this one on another PC?  When was last time you replaced the battery on the motherboard? Clock errors are frequently a sign of a weak battery.

You might start by replacing the battery if it's more than ~2-3 years old.  A 3-Volt CR2032 coin cell battery costs ~$2-$3 at Walmart, Target, etc.  Unplug PC from the wall and press/hold power button on tower for ~15 sec. Open the case and remove the battery. Press/hold the power button again for at least 30 sec. Install the (fresh) battery, right-side-up and see if it boots ok now.

Ron

April 2nd, 2009 09:00

Thanks for the reply. the PC is 7 years old so I will definitely replace the battery.

The keyboard is USB and I replaced it with another USB keyboard and it works! but startup tells me to put the USB keyboard into slot 1, which is where it is already.  the original problem was a bad chunk of disk. i lost only my outlook data - no big deal. Whew! by the way, do you have any idea where chkdsk puts repaired files?

thanks for your help.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 2nd, 2009 14:00

If it can, chdsk will fix files by moving them around. It shouldn't matter to you where repaired files are located because the system will find them. But if chkdsk finds a chuck of data and doesn't know to what file that data belongs, it saves the fragment as a  new file. Some times those fragments are recoverable, some times not. Read this.

Be sure to back up all your important files on external media (eg, CD) asap because this loss of data could signal a failing hard drive, especially in a system that's 7 years old. We don't want you coming back saying your hard drive crashed and you lost all of Grandma's blue ribbon recipes... :emotion-4:

Ron

No Events found!