Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2007 08:00

Keyboard failure

Hi.

I have a Dell dimension 9150 with dell keyboard and dell mouse (both USB).

My problem is that a couple of days ago I was playing my computer when it suddenly froze. I shut down the computer and turned it on again. Now when it is booting it stops for a while on the first Dell screen. After 20 seconds it moves on but writes: "Keyboard Failure".
The result of this is that i can neither use my keyboard nor my mouse which indicates that i am rather stuck!!!

I can't press the f1, f2 og f12 bottons.
I have tried to use the other USB-entries.
Both the keyboard and the mouse works perfectly on my laptop.

Can anyone please help me?

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

March 5th, 2009 14:00

GrooveRite,

Open Device Manager and expand the list under USB. Double-click each Root Hub, one at a time, and go to the Power Management tab. Uncheck the box "Allow pc to turn off this device...". Repeat for all USB Root Hubs and then reboot.  You may have to disconnect USB printers, external drives etc to see the power management tab on any Root Hub that's in use.

For what it's worth, my 8400 has very recently developed the habit of refusing to recognize any memory sticks which I occassionally connect to the system. It comes back with "Unrecognized USB device" message.  Rebooting solves the problem.  Have no idea what causes that, and reinstalling USB didn't fix it. I wonder if Microsoft did something with one of their updates that's causing the problem??

Ron

611 Posts

March 5th, 2009 20:00

OK.  Am I correct that your computer is three years old and you are badmouthing Dell because you are having a problems with it? This is a user to user forum. People have gone out of their way to help you.  Please take your whining somewhere else!

8 Posts

March 6th, 2009 00:00

If GrooveRite is actually getting into windows then he has got far further than i did (thus not the same problem). If the motherboard has actually been changed twice (this would have been an expensive action!) and the device mananger check as defined by Ron is not getting anywhere then maybe you have corruption on the hard disk somewhere (or RAM if you didn't have to change this with the motherboard). I had a similar issue with certain devices not working while others did (really frustrating!). The solution to my issue i found after lots of searching for programs to "uncorrupt the disk / ram". I do not know whether i am allowed in this forum to mention brand names but i suppose that my comments will be deleted if so. The application i find utterly briliant and can be used for both general system maintenance (recovering corrupted/crashed disks) and also for radically speeding the disk up. http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm 

If you have errors that are resolved by rebooting and then seen to come back more and more .. then corrupt ???? is definately a possibility.

Success!

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

March 6th, 2009 14:00

You're allowed to mention/recommend software and products here, as long as you're not trying to sell them.

Spinrite is excellent software and has been mentioned here many times in the past.  Glad it works for you.  And while you're at grc.com use his free Shields Up to test your network connection security. :emotion-5:

Ron

12 Posts

March 6th, 2009 15:00

I still get "unrecognized USB device" after making the changes to each USB root hub.  Fortunately, I still have one USB port still working so I still have my keyboard and mouse working through it.  Although I have no idea which one is working.    I have 5 host controllers that appear OK, and 5 root hubs that appear OK., and one generic USB hub that seems to be OK, and 3 unknown devices that I can't get fixed.  They seem to want a driver but can't find one where all the other drivers are (system32/drivers).

1 Message

March 6th, 2009 16:00

I'm having the same problem. I have a Dell 9150. I plugged in my iPod shuffle and the keyboard and mouse stopped working. Rebooted a number of times, tried all the USB ports and nothing worked. I installed an old USB 1 PC-card, rebooted and it still didn't work...in frustration I banged on the keyboard hitting the keys over and over and then it suddenly work. The Windows log in screen started beeping and the mouse and keyboard then worked.

I'm backing up the computer now, while it's working. Once backed up, I'll check to see if can get the USB working. But I think the computers toast. I'll try replacing the battery and other things recommeded. But I might have to just buy a new computer as I'm not trusting this one. Bummer I really liked the computer, has served me well for the past three years.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

March 6th, 2009 20:00

It's possible the ipod overloaded the USB hubs and fried the mobo.  But if banging on the keyboard made it work again, then I wonder if you had/have a stuck key on the keyboard.  Have you tried a different one, or have you tried blowing it clean with canned air?

You can also open Device Manager, expand the list under USB, right-click and  uninstall each USB Root Hub. Reboot and XP should reinstall the USB ports (drivers).

Ron

16 Posts

March 8th, 2009 10:00

Rohe and Gsermon,  thank you for your advices!  Much appreciated!

I do appologize for the blatent complaining but its so frustrating to be going through this and not getting it resolved for such a long period of time.  I payed for Dell care extention when I purchased my computer so whether it has 1 year of 5 years, I'm covered!  I do appologize though since Dell has been very helpful and they have been trying to do everything they can to get this resolved.  I just feel like they are going in circles now with their procedures.  I do feel that its a MS update that may have corrupted my HDD but if it is.....wouldn't other computer users other than Dell be going through the same problem?!  I'm going to try Gsermons advice of the program.  If that doesn't work, I think a new HDD might be the fix.  I'll let you guys know.

Thank you for your help!

12 Posts

March 8th, 2009 17:00

Well, that didn't help.  I have 5 Root Hubs, 4 of which have an Unknown Device under the Power tab.  Uninstalling them has no effect; they all get re-created and no additional USB ports work.  Only 1 Root hub is OK: uninstalling it means that the mouse and keyboard no longer work.  Only by unplugging the computer gets it to work again.  When I plug an external drive into one of the non-working ports, I get a message about Unknown Device. But if I put it into the one of the USB expander ports that is plugged into the one working USB port, then it comes up just fine.

I guess I'll keep this computer as long as the one port works.  But it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

2 Posts

March 9th, 2009 09:00

I experienced the same problems after plugging in a shuffle. I figured the power from the shuffle blew the port. I am going to throw out my C521 and move the HD to a barebones kit.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

March 9th, 2009 10:00

See if there's anything useful here.

Ron

16 Posts

March 30th, 2009 10:00

I'm here to report that my problem has been SOLVED!!!!!  THANK THE HEAVENS!!!!  It was my darn mouse that was causing the USB ports to crash.  After reformatting my comp 5 times, changing the motherboard twice and keyboard twice.....I began to question my mouse.  I bought a MS optical mouse at Staples and problem has been fixed.  I have called up Dell and notified them about this.  I also apologized to them about not taking the new mouse they sent me when they replaced my keyboard.  I liked my factory mouse over the cheap generic looking one the techinician was giving me.  So, if anyone is having USB problems, check and make sure its not your keyboard OR mouse.

May 4th, 2009 14:00

I had the same "keyboard error" message and problem for my XPS 410 system.  The Power-off, unplug, and hold the power switch recommendation did not work for me.  What did work was plugging my keyboard into a powered usb expansion device which was plugged into a usb port on the back of my computer.  This regained keyboard control for getting into BIOS or boot control.  If I switch back to a direct usb connection I get the keyboard error message again.

1 Message

May 4th, 2009 17:00

Super....I'll give it a try.  I just about ran out of ideas and have subsequently put my PS/2 keyboard back on.  It would be nice to use my new keyboard. 

Thanks!

May 27th, 2009 09:00

This worked perfectly for me on a Precision 670. Thank you, sir!

No Events found!