Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2009 09:00

LBA 48 support - How do I determine whether my Dell DIM2400 BIOS A02 is compatible?

Hi folks,

I believe I have the need to update my BIOS  (currently A02) to have a system 100% working with external USB-HD of 160 and 320 GB.

I have read the threads of 17 May and 27 July 2009 discussing this matter, hence my assumption.

• MY OS is Win XP SP3,
  • the associated atapi.sys has the version 5.1.2600.5512 (= later than required minimum according to microsoft);
  • RAM is 1 GB,
  • internal HD is 40 GB,
  • no floppy but 1 CD/RW, 1 DVD/RW
  • 1st external USB HD Western Digital Elements 160 GB (F:)
  • 2nd external USB HD Western Digital Elements 320 GB (G:)

I have stored about 138 GB data on the smaller ext. drive and ca. 30 GB on the second ext drive. internal drive is nearly full.

I use Hibernate quite frequently, shutting down the PC only once per week.

My CD and DVD drives at some stage dropped to max speed of 4x, don't know why either.

After drive E: some time ago reported a raw file system I tried to repair it with TestDisk 6.11, looked ok. Before the true changes were to occur I wanted to run a test run on its image which I created on drive G:. After creation of the image (which filled G: to > 137 GB) I could no longer access drive G: reporting "This drive is not formatted, ..." That is the way drive F: got "lost" in the first place.

Now there's the questions:

1. Would a BIOS update ensure the drives to be read correctly?
  2. Which version would be the one to use?
  3. How do I upgrade the BIOS without a floppy?

I am confident that I'd get the data back with TestDisk, my concern is that I can't do it on my system. Currently an upgrade is out of the question.

I thank you all already for your advice.

Cheers,

REnergy

14.4K Posts

THIS is the only bios update listed for your system. Download and extract the files then copy them to a bootable CD. Place the CD as the first device in the boot order.

4 Posts

Now that was quick!

Davet50, does your advice how to update my BIOS include that it will ensure LBA48 compatibility?

Cheers,

Ben

14.4K Posts

You guess is as good as mine as there is no info on what the bios update addresses.

It takes a motherboard bios to support drives >137gig plus windows XP sp1 or greater

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

REnergy,

The bios notes do not mention LBA48. they only state,

The following changes have been made to BIOS rev A04 to create A05:
1. Improve splash screen logo positioning.
2. Prevent loss of audio on power-up or after S3 resume.
3. If AC lost during S3 standby, don't attempt S3 resume when AC restored.

You will have to load it and see how it reacts to LBA48.

4 Posts

August 16th, 2009 10:00

Thanks Chris,

I'll upgrade the BIOS and come back with my findings.:emotion-56:

By the way: Is this the right one?

Non-Packaged

D2400A05.EXE

Description: This file format consists of a BIOS executable file. To use it, download the file and copy it to a DOS-bootable diskette. With the diskette in the floppy drive, reboot the system and run the program.

Cheers!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

Yes.

4 Posts

Thanks Davet50,

I'll get it done as soon as and report back.

Cheers!

6.4K Posts

August 16th, 2009 15:00

Just a note of interest; as far as I know, the Dimension 2400 BIOS has always had 48 bit LBA support.  Also, unless Dell has updated their BIOS updates for the D2400, it is necessary to boot into actual DOS.  The DOS window in Windows XP will not do.

I updated my Dimension 2400 to BIOS version A05 about four years ago using the BR70278.exe file.  This file produces a bootable floppy diskette containing the flash file, but you naturally need a diskette drive to use it.  If you must use the D2400A05.EXE file, please bear in mind you need to boot to real DOS, not the DOS window that you find in Windows XP.  When I tried all I could get was an error that stated that the file was not supported on my current operating system.  It is possible to make a bootable CD using DOS, but it gets a bit involved.  If you still have the Dell Resource CD that shipped with the system, however, please note that this disk boots to DOS for its diagnostic routines.  I seem to recall that one of the menu items allows you to exit out of the diagnostics to a DOS prompt.  If you can get to that prompt, exchange the CD you wrote the BIOS flash file (D2400A05.EXE) to with the Resource CD.  Execute the file by typing its complete name, to include the .EXE at the end.  The flash itself takes about 30 seconds, but be patient.  You should get a message on the screen when the flash is complete asking you to remove the disk and hit a key to restart the computer.

No Events found!