Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2017 06:00

Lemon computer

I received an XPS 8900 on 12/2/16. Initial problem seemed to be USB ports. I called and a tech worked through my computer but didn't solve the problem . I ran a scan and sent it in. On thing the scan showed was a failure at  65,485 hours on line !! a supposedly new computer. They decided a needed a new hard drive and mother board and they were installed. Next scan revealed I had a different computer. seems the service tag was entered in correctly. They then sent and installed a new motherboard. Next scan showed problem with hard drive and they wanted to install a new hard drive. I told them I wanted a new computer. They said no. All this on a computer less than two months old. I filed a claim through Pay Pal and that has not been resolved yet  . HELP

Ladybuglover

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 19th, 2017 07:00

Non Dell authorized dealers cannot "give you a new computer". Scanning is antivirus software not diagnostics.  You did not say where you purchased the unit from nor what country you are in.

This forum is not interaction with dell support and service.

January 19th, 2017 07:00

I purchased the computer from Dell and have dealt with Dell support. The scans were through Dell support. not scans for malware.  I live in the United States.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 19th, 2017 08:00

It sounds like you bought the system through a third party -- if so, contact the seller.

I bought the computer from Dell as stated above but not yet posted

I have already replaced the drive and two motherboards - they now want me to send in the computer ( leaving me without) .

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Let them replace the drive - if that doesn't solve it, ask for a replacement system.  They generally require multiple repair attempts before a replacement system is authorized.

January 19th, 2017 10:00

How would you explain the hours in this? This was a test before the hard drive and two motherboards were replaced. I bought the 3 year warranty   Error Message: The device reported the following status: The previous self-test completed having the read element of the test failed. 1/5/2017 12:22:23 PM Error Message: The first failing LBA value is 385120681 and the failure occurred after the device had been operating for 65451 power-on hours. 1/5/2017 12:22:23 PM Test Finished: Failed (Error code: WHD16-NFD) 1/5/2017 12:22:27 PM

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 19th, 2017 10:00

Also keep in mind that DFS and Dell Outlet are not the same as Dell in Roundrock Texas.  Dell marks all parts as refurbished after a period of time because Inventory of new Items would have Texas property taxes.

Dell-branded hardware products purchased in the U.S. or Canada may come with a 90-day, 1-year, 2-year, 3-year, 4-year or 5-year, or other limited hardware warranty.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/policy/en/policy?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~section=012

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 23rd, 2017 08:00

SMART Short Shelf Test: Error Code WHD16-XXX

The drive is bad.  65451 power on hours is 7 years.

There are 8766 hours in a year.

Your snippet out of context from a log is meaningless.

Note: When you call in or report an error code online, you will be asked for the validation or status code, in addition to the actual error code. These codes are on the same line as the error code; which one you see depends on the diagnostics that are being run. Dell needs these codes in order to confirm your error.

S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology; often written as SMART) is a monitoring system included in computer hard disk drives (HDDs) that detects and reports on various indicators of drive reliability, with the intent of enabling the anticipation of hardware failures.

When S.M.A.R.T. data indicates a possible imminent drive failure, software running on the host system may notify the user so stored data can be copied to another storage device, preventing data loss, and the failing drive can be replaced.

January 23rd, 2017 10:00

Have logs in html and pdf but don't know how to post them. They have replaced hard drive once . tests reveal the same result

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 25th, 2017 08:00

You should still be under warranty.  This forum is not interaction with Dell service and support.  The end user is not ever authorized to direct dell service to "give you a new computer". I'm not a lawyerr and I don't play one on TV.  However I do not believe there are any computer specific "lemon" laws.   Legal trolling on the forum is against terms of service for use of the forum.

No Events found!