Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

July 8th, 2017 09:00

Lifeless Optiplex 9020 MT with good power supply

So this is a last ditch attempt at repairing a faulty machine, as I like to exhaust all possibilities before giving up.

The machine in the title will not power up. It has a healthy power supply, which I have tested with the button on the back and also by bridging the green PS switch on pin to a ground pin. The fan on it spins and all 12 volt outputs are functional. However, there is no life beyond that, no light on the power button or any lights on the motherboard. I should add that when connected to the mains, the LED by the button on the PSU is NOT lit, until you push the little test button, but goes off again when you let go.

It has been tested multiple ways, right down to the simple test with nothing connected other than the PSU connectors. There is power flowing through the motherboard, as the fans spin up to maximum and the SATA output cable is live and powered up the DVD drive without an issue. I'm just wondering if this board has simply had it, as I cannot see any other possibilities. I've also cleared the CMOS and replaced the battery to no avail.

Sometimes in the past I've known of circuit boards suffering with 'dry joint', where the solder joints break away from the PCB. Putting said board in an oven for a short period of time (at low temperature) rectified this. Just wondering if this is worth trying or shall I just cut my losses and ditch the board.

Thanks

367 Posts

July 8th, 2017 20:00

This motherboard appears have had it now it's kinda officially dead and it's not worth trying to fix it. A much cheaper solution is to get a replacement you can get these off eBay for like $50 here:

www.ebay.com/.../222465437332

29 Posts

July 9th, 2017 05:00

Thanks for the reply. I agree the board is toast, I just hate it when something fails and you cannot pinpoint the cause!

Sadly, the availability of these boards in the UK seems to be non existent. I know the Precision T1700 uses the same one, but that doesn't come back with much either. I think I'll just sell the remaining components and/or keep the bits I can use else where.

367 Posts

July 9th, 2017 10:00

In case you did not know the listing i provided comes form the United States but it does ship to the UK this is a new motherboard for the computer also something else you could do is install a 3rd party micro atx motherboard wich might be available in th UK

www.ebay.co.uk/.../222465437332

29 Posts

October 25th, 2017 16:00

Apologies for not coming back to you on this one! In the end I scrapped the motherboard and sold off the components separately. A shame, but there you go these things do happen.

Thanks, this thread can be closed now.

No Events found!