Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 21st, 2011 19:00

Looking for Solutions to fix Driver problems for IDT Audio Codec and SM Bus Controller

We recently bought the Dell computer from garage sale. everything seem fine until we tried playing some videos and there was no audio. I tried installing the drivers for the sound from the dell site and that didn't work. There was no driver update for the SM Bus Controller in the Support site too. I tried everything that the Forums and what others have tried, and still no success. I have a Dell Dimension E510, Windows XP Pro sp3. Any help would be grately appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2011 04:00

Hi Msveliciraptor1980,

The chipset driver is what you need. First try that, then let's see if the sound is working.

It might be worth performing a clean installation of the operating system, but you'd need a Dell XP disc. You can borrow one or purchase through Ebay (~$15-20).

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 22nd, 2011 07:00

As this is an E510, you MUST use the Dell SigmaTel audio driver (after you instlall the motherboard chipset drivers).  

The IDT drivers are later drivers and not compatible with the Dell SigmaTel audio chip.

The chipset driver and the SigmaTel sound drivers can be downloaded from the Dell Downloads   Click Me

No Events found!