Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2009 10:00

Looking for a different motherboard for XPS 700

I have an old XPS 700 that is most definitely out of warranty and the motherboard has died. Since the case and everything else in it is perfectly fine, I thought that now would be a good time to upgrade and get a better board. I did contact Dell and found out that I can upgrade to an XPS720 through them and got all of the required parts info.

My question is this: Are there any proprietary parts in the XPS 700 that would not allow me to buy a motherboard from a different manufacturer, like ASUS or some one else? Will the PSU, connectors or something else only work with Dell products?

Thanks for your help

482 Posts

April 7th, 2009 12:00

Hello Malordax,

As you must be aware, the XPS 700 is a proprietary system, based upon the BTX form factor MOBO, so no other form MOBO will fit, the Dell MOBO is what you are limited to.  The PSU pins work with the BTX only as will the other wiring from the PSU.  The fans are proprietary with Dell form connectors, so if you are thinking of migrating over to the ATX MOBO such as an ASUS, you are talking an overhaul of the inside of the case.  A great project if you do not need the rig and have the time to do the work.

You will then need software as well, as the OS is tied to the BIOS, which is tied to the MOBO, so your software would include a new retail version of Windows XP/Vista/ or 7, what ever you are going to run.

Best,

Darrell WV

No Events found!