Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 26th, 2017 15:00

Looking for help with No video has power Optiplex 390 DT

After searching here for a bit I am hoping I can get some help with figuring out how I want to troubleshoot my issue with an Optiplex 390.  So far I have:

Removed all peripherals

Removed ram

Removed all power sources and held down power button (in cycles)

Swapped out the power cord.

I am getting the following happening:

PC wants to boot when only initially plugged in, meaning I don't have to use the power button.  I force shutdown by holding down the power button.  I can push the button on for an attempt boot, but it never seems to get to bios or beep.

The Fan is always running at high RPM.

The light on the motherboard is solid amber, and the power button turns solid yellow when on.  There is also a green light on the Power Supply.  There is supposed to be diagnostic lights but I don't see any.

No video of any kind.  Have it plugged in through onboard HDMI.

So I figure step 1 of troubleshooting is use another ATX psu and see what happens.  Any newer ATX should be fine, right?

Step 2 and the rest I am not sure of.  If not the PSU we are probably talking motherboard or CPU, right?

Would appreciate any help with what might be the odds on culprit and how to test what may be wrong.  Thanks in advance!

367 Posts

October 26th, 2017 21:00

Then it is in fact the motherboard it does not work right anymore you should buy another one you can buy it off ebay for $17

www.ebay.com/.../202086652158

367 Posts

October 26th, 2017 15:00

The power supply is probably dead try replacing it.

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

October 26th, 2017 19:00

No dice on PSU.  Tried another from a working desktop and had the same results.  Just for giggles, I swapped the coin battery and tried to boot again and same symptoms.  I looked on the board for a blown capacitor but could find one (there are some by the processor that I can't see)

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

October 27th, 2017 21:00

0ops, I meant could NOT find one (capacitor) that was blown.  So just to confirm, there is no chance this is a bad CPU?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 1st, 2017 12:00

Blinking Amber power button = bad power supply

Solid Amber power button = dead cpu/motherboard.

Green Led on power supply only shows input power available NOT GOOD power supply.

Yellow LED on mother board shows +5v standby available NOT good Power supply or motherboard.

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

November 3rd, 2017 18:00

Thanks for the correct course of action and the detail to support!  Just replaced motherboard with a working pull and now back in business!

No Events found!