Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 29th, 2009 08:00

Lose Internet connection after using CD/DVD drive

For the past few years i have had this problem, but now its getting to me!!  I have A Dell Dimension 5150

At the moment i have a speedtouch modem which is ADSL and conencts to computer via USB

I connect via Username and password.

Conenction is generally fine until I use a cd or DVD.  Then the internet does respond.  It says it is still connected but it can't find any pages.  I then have to unplug the USB and plug it back in again, and then reconnect.

This is obviously very annoying!!  And i was wondering if anybody had any advice.  Im now trying to upgrade to a wireless but i can't seem to connect to the internet to set it up.  And im not sure if this is because the Setup system is on CD!!

Thanks for your help!!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 29th, 2009 09:00

I have an E510 which is identical to the 5150.

USB is the least desireable broadband connection method.  The Ethernet connection is the best and what it was designed for.  Why it is logging you off?? but since you need to log on and it's not an "on all the time" connection that could be the reason.

If you are going wireless, I assume you have a wireless adapter of some type as wireless is not standard in this model.  The wireless device you have should have the setup instructions, we can't say what that is as we don't know what you have.  There is a separate forum section for modems/wireless and that may be the best forum section for your problems.

2 Posts

August 29th, 2009 10:00

Thanks for your reply

Yeah i understand that USB is least desirable but it was the only connection available on my modem.

I have an adapter for my new wireless modem, however first you have to set the modem up by plugging it in via an ethnet connection.  It just doesn't connect to the internet.  even though my password and such like is correct.  I therefore thought it might be the disconnection problem i have with the other modem.  I may be wrong though....

No Events found!