Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 2nd, 2012 09:00

MAXX Audio Supports Stereo Only??

So i just got my new computer today (XPS 8500 SE) and i was glad to see it had the inputs to support my 5.1 Logitech speakers. So i plugged them in and tried to use the "Dell Audio" (It's really Realtek in disguise) So i set my setup to 5.1..but then all of the features turn off and it doesn't enable you to turn them back on.

Is there any way to fix this..?, Cause i find it pretty odd that they advertised 7.1 integrated audio with MAXXAudio and then all of it's features only support 2.1 (Stereo). I ran the test in speaker configuration and all of my speakers are clearly working..yet i only get the front 2 even with it set to 5.1 (Features still disabled)

Has anyone else found a solution for this?

All of my drivers are apparently up-to-date...I tried getting Realtek but it says none of the drivers found are supported. But it makes sense since Dell Audio is a modified version of it.

12 Posts

August 2nd, 2012 11:00

Anyone...?

12 Posts

August 2nd, 2012 20:00

I'm just wondering why they advertise it was 7.1 (or up to 7.1) surround with WaveMAXX Audio 4..When the actual program only supports 2.1 (stereo)...I feel completely ripped..otherwise i would've gotten a comp with Soundblaster like my old Dell..Other than that this comp is perfect. =/, I think Dell should've used THX's sound platform

8 Posts

August 4th, 2012 16:00

I have the same problem.  Got my XPS8500 SE yesterday and connected my Dell 5.1 speaker system to the computer.  When I went to the audio device settings and played the test sounds, all five speakers work.  But when I do anything else, the computer only uses the front 2 speakers and the subwoofer.  

12 Posts

August 4th, 2012 22:00

Yup, Kinda stupid that they advertise 7.1 yet the program/audio manager they put on it only supports 2.1. They should've just used THX or X-Fi. But no..instead they put a program meant for laptops with the sound processor.

8 Posts

August 5th, 2012 17:00

Totally agree.  I may just give up and buy a X-FI Extreme Audio card.  

12 Posts

August 6th, 2012 04:00

Yeah, I'll have to eventually =/, I dunno why the older XPS 8000's came with ones that actually supported surround sound. (THX truaudio) and now these ones don't..It just seems like they got lazy and put software on it they didn't even test.

69 Posts

August 7th, 2012 09:00

I too fell victim to another false advertising claim concerning the xps 8500...I  purchased 2 xps 8500"s and intended on using my old astic lansing 5.1 885 speaker systems only to find out that this computer only supports 5.1 stereo...what a let down..Why would they produce a "supposed high end desktop with such a low end audio support and compatibility. Big mistake on dell part! what makes it even worse is another problem concerning the xps 8500 pcie ports  x1 I would suggest that anyone thinking of upgrading audio via a pcle card to enable usage of their 5.1 speakers follow the thread concerning   pcle (non reconigition of pcle cards ) also .  the last I heard Dell sent out  2 high end audio cards to people complaining on that thread  to verify that the pcle  x1 solts will infact reconize or support even a audio pcle card.. to date I havent seen a response posted by end user for verification  if this work-around will indeed work. Very disappointed too say the least with all dell"s mis representation (bait and switch tatics) concerning the actual product specifications and advertising hype for the(xps 8500).I thought that I dodged the bullet by not purchasing the infamous xps 8300 and all its problems only to find out  that  the xps8500 has many issues also.......  entirely too many !!!!oh well too far down the road (beyond 21 day return policy ) . Audio being the least of my concerns..at this point I am sorry I went for the latest tecnology instead of certified compatability..... stay tuned for this ongoing saga

mac

12 Posts

August 7th, 2012 13:00

The only issue i've had is the sound, Which is a really big thing for me since i listen to music and game alot..

8 Posts

September 5th, 2012 14:00

Ok so I just got a Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio card and installed it yesterday.  Had to install the latest drivers to make it work.  The default surround sound is not better than that of the integrated sound card after you select the fill speaker option in its settings.  However, once I selected the stereo surround option, sound came out of all speakers at the same volume.  But for some reason, it still doesn't sound as good as the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 in my Dimension 8300.  

3 Posts

October 1st, 2012 13:00

I feel the same way...I tried every which way to see if I could fix the problem, but finally decided to research this issue. Bottom line, Dell is really not responsive nor are they admitting this screw up. I'm very disappointed that to use my old 5.1 speaker set, I would need a new sound card. My old XPS 8400 was better built with THX sound. Very disappointed with silence from Dell.

69 Posts

October 1st, 2012 17:00

the only way to get 5.1 surround sound and above (7.1) is to purchase and install a pcle sb soundcard. for some unknown reason Dell in its infinate wisdome chose only to equipp this delux high performance desktop with laptop[ 2.1 sound attributes.   Boy what a mistake ...youre not the only ones compalining...However you should read all post concerning pcle nonreconigition post and usb 3.0 reconigation posts  on this forum also ..These are 2 of the main  design flaws contained within the xps8500 model...  if in fact your are one of the lucky ones that were able to install a sb 5.1/7.1 pcle soundcard and have it reconized pleease also note concerning this .....most claim that if in fact it does get reconized  the sound quality and performance is poor at best somewhat muted or muffled not chrisp and clean as you would previously be use to.... about a week ago dell  dell released a new bios version A09 to alledegedy to correct this non pcle reconigation problem ...but due to some techical dell site glitch many have not been able to download the new A09 bios revision.. Personallly i for one have not been able to download this new bios  for my 2 xps 8500se"s  so I still am facing the same sound delima as you  when trying to use my astec lansing ADA 885 5.1 speakers  only thing I can say at this point is to follow the post and act accordingly.....and continue complaining to dell tec support .....remember the squeeky wheel always get the oil...  this saga has been ongion for approx 5 months    good luck check and see what bios version is installed in your comp    these 2  prob were still relevelant in  bios A06

MAC  II

3 Posts

October 1st, 2012 18:00

Hi MAC II....thanks for the note. I do noticed a quality issue and it is quite disappointing with Dell. I would have selected a different system if I had known of this issue. Unfortunately, I am stuck now. I know Dell reviews these forums and what makes it doubly frustrating is the lack of acknowledgement. The "old" Dell would at least address the issue, even if they did not have an answer, but this "new" Dell just hides. They must have a new product management team. Oh well, I will take your advice and follow the post, now that I know it's not me.

1 Message

January 26th, 2013 09:00

I also purchase the XPS8500 a month ago and  have the same problem with the sound card it only play stereo but I have 5.1 speakers that I bought from dell 4 years ago but when I plug them to my new PC it only show stereo

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 26th, 2013 10:00

5.1 speakers have several color coded plugs not 1.

October 14th, 2015 15:00

I'm confused like everyone else. My XPS 8500 has 6 audio jacks on the back and two on the top. The ones on the back have little icons (nearly impossible to read). But I can't find a description anywhere in Dell or the Web about what each jack is supposed to be for. 

Worse, this thread and similar ones, imply that the XPS 8500 only supports stereo speakers, not quad or 5+1. So are all those extra jacks useless?

I'd like to hook up some generic powered speakers: 2 for front, 2 for rear, and a subwoofer. Is my only hope to purchase a sound card? 

No Events found!