Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2010 14:00

Managing Devices!

I just got a new Studio Desktop (540model) with the Intel G45/G43 express chipset. I want to use my Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT video card, but Windows 7 doesn't
recognize the card, won't even acknowledge 'unknown device' or anything. The only option under device manger is the chipset. I got some advice about possibly working with the BIOS to solve this problem; what would I have to do in the Windows 7 BIOS, or are there any other solutions so I can get my video card up and running? Right now I have my monitor plugged into the default monitor outlet, it's just blank if plugged into the video card. Let me know if any more info is needed for a solution. Thanks so much for the help!

Kyle

468 Posts

January 14th, 2010 15:00

Hey, did you get my post about the graphics properties in the bios?  When you turn on the computer, you hit F2 i believe to enter the bios when the dell logo appears, from there, there should be a setting called perhiprials i believe (each bios is different), and one should allow you to select whether to use the onboard graphics, or an addin card.. you want to select addin card.

65 Posts

January 14th, 2010 15:00

thanks - i was able to get into the BIOS and went into 'integrated peripherals'
these are my options:

SATA Mode 
Onboard Audio Controller {enabled}
Onboard LAN {enabled}
Onboard LAN BOOT ROM {disabled}
Onboard 1394 {enabled}

I also went into the 'advanced chipset features' and had these two options

Video Memory Size  {32, 64, 128}
PAVP Mode {disabled}

There doesn't seem to be an option for onboard/additional card. I've tried setting the PAVP mode enabled/disabled because it seemed like the only video option, also i've tried adjusting vid. memory size from 32 to 64.   I was generally familiar with Win XP's BIOS, but I don't know the Win 7 BIOS yet.

Kyle

468 Posts

January 14th, 2010 16:00

In the advanced chipset section, there should be a section that says intigrated perhiprials according tot he manual of your computer (i looked it up after forgetting i could).  see if there is a section for shutting down the onboard graphics there.. if not.. it could be in that the bios is supposed to do it automatically and for whatever reason its not.  Also the BIOS is independent from the operating system (windows xp or windows 7) just so you know :-)

65 Posts

January 14th, 2010 17:00

thanks for the help - i'll let you know when i get it....or don't   :)

kyle

No Events found!