Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 8th, 2012 10:00

Max memory for Optiplex 780

Hi,

We have Optiplex 780 mini-tower machines at work, and for the last couple of days want to upgrade them to the maximum memory possible. It's next to impossible to find an easy answer to what is the maximum memory is for these machines.

Dell specifications - http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/op780/en/SM/SM_MT/specifications.htm - say it's 8GB DDR3 1066GHz

Two other documents on Dell website have 16GB as max memory.

Dell Optiplex 780 tech guide pdf (http://i.dell.com/sites/content/business/solutions/engineering-docs/en/Documents/optiplex-780-tech-guide.pdf) - page 9, and  Dell Optiplex 780 Setup and Features Guide pdf (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/op780/en/SFITS/SFITS_Al/SFITS_EN.pdf) - page 7

Anyone knows what's the correct information?

Size - 8GB or 16GB?

Which speed - 1066GHz or 1333GHz?

thanks

oliver

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

April 18th, 2015 22:00

You apparently are not willing to look at the facts and would rather rant.

It is very easy to find compatible RAM for the major  computer manufacturers. Can find them in a minute on sites for the major suppliers. These suppliers work with all the major computer manufacturers to qualify RAM. The cost for a Dell certified module is basically the same as the price of a similarly specified non-Dell module from the same supplier. Price from most suppliers for modules with the same specification is about the same. Sure, you can find bargain modules for bargain prices, but you have already proved they will not do the job. So, just keep on buying and testing junk that will not do the job and save a couple of bucks.

June 4th, 2015 22:00

I downloaded the CrucialScan utility from Crucial and went with the Ram they said was compatible.  Dell Opliplex 780 small form factor System had 8gb in it so it meant I would have to replace all 4 ram modules to get to 16gb.  I updated the system Bio do the most recent available, as suggested by both Crucial and Dell. However, it did not matter how I put it in, all 4 or just 2 in pairs, the system will not boot beyond beep codes with that new ram installed in it.  The beep codes were related to memory issues.  Putting the original RAM back in immediately fixes the issue.  It have Windows 7 64 bit installed.  I do know how to switch out RAM, as I am an A+ certified professional, and have done that type of thing over 15 years now.  So I suspect something with this particular Motherboard is the issue.  This one may not actually support over 8 GB.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 5th, 2015 07:00

• Maximum memory: 16384MB
  • Slots:4 (2 banks of 2)
  • Largest Dimm Size 4 Gigs
  • BLS4G3D1609DS1S00

4Gig DDR3 PC3-12800 • 9-9-9-24 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.5V • 512Meg x 64 •

Joes crab shack and fake crucial ram does not work.  You cannot use 8 gig modules.  Quad Rank High density ram Does not work.  ECC Registered Ram Does not work. Buffered ram Does not work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148539

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA70F2U43486

June 5th, 2015 08:00

I used the scan tool provided by Crucial and bought the RAM from them directly.  Their RAM is good, and is compatible with the Dell Optiplex 780 Small Form Factor.  The issue actually ended up being just one system out of several.  It was something wrong with that one systems Motherboard.  All the other systems in that batch took the RAM without issue.  

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 5th, 2015 10:00

Board specific issues are usually bios version.

Aka older optiplexes dont work with 2/4 gig modules without the latest bios.  Systems that reject 4 gig or 8 gig modules limitations are based on chipset.

1 Message

July 21st, 2015 10:00

I hear and agree with you loudly!  Unfortunately this is not just Dell, Corporate American has been doing a money grab since 9/11 as  if it somehow justified the price of everything going up and staying up in price.

7 Posts

September 10th, 2015 11:00

I've got a 64-bit Optiplex 780 SFF with four memory slots (total currently installed = 4GB), two of which are dark gray, the other two are light gray (or white). I too was a bit confused as to the two similar but different Dell 780 tech guides with respect to memory specs and maximums.

My question is, as a small form factor desktop, is it maxed out at 8 or 16GB? Also, if it's 8, can I purchase two 4GB sticks? Which two slots would you suggest I install them in, the two darker or lighter ones?

thanks in advance.

2 Posts

September 10th, 2015 19:00

16gb is max. I'd recommend you do latest BIOS update first. As long as OS and processor are 64 bit you can have 2 x 4Gb or 4 x 4Gb 

7 Posts

September 11th, 2015 05:00

Understand the updating of BIOS prior to installation or additional/replacement RAM. Thank you for that very important reminder.

According to System info, OS is indeed 64-bit. Device Manager reads two Intel Core 2Duo CPUs, E6550 @2.33GHz. Presumably that translates to 64-bit processor.

As for the placement of future RAM purchase, there are currently four memory slots in my Optiplex 780, all occupied (total current installed and recognized RAM is 4GB). Two have dark gray closure tabs; the other two are almost white. Should the replacement matched pair of 4GB sticks be installed on either the dark gray or white securing clips, but not one on each color?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 11th, 2015 14:00

The colors on the ejector ears indicate pairs.  They go in 1  THEN 3 then 2 then 4 not 1 2 3 4  So bank A  then Bank B both SETS are matched pairs.

1 Message

September 28th, 2015 22:00

Hello Everyone,

just as an update in case any one cares to know if there is people still dealing with this issue.

I have been able to resolve this issue by doing two things.

1) Updated the Bios to A15 from the Dell website 

2) Purchase and install this ram below. (left the original sticks of ram in slots in Dimm 1 & 3)
     Installed the new ram  in slots for Dimm 2 & 4.

volia, works without any issues or problems. use this ram: 

CRUCIAL 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.5V 512Meg x 64

CT51264BA160B

172 Posts

February 2nd, 2016 12:00

Finally, 16GB RAM in my Optiplex 780 DT Edition, with two of these kits here for a little over $80.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00683X4PQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

I was one happy camper, until I ran the WEI, and the RAM score didn't increase at all, maybe my apps will see & use it though. Here's the Speccy shot of my Optiplex 780 loaded with a Q9650 & 16GB of RAM. 

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Mq8NWTqu2ALP6qpoWypKqIW

It CAN be done, I took the chance on the kits, going be consumer reviews, which over a dozen of the first 15 pages stated was the kit for the Optiplex 780 & a few more finicky Intel boards. 

Hope this assists someone!

Cat

1 Message

June 4th, 2016 07:00

Solarwinds,

While you are correct in that other brands of memory will work providing they meet the specs recommended, I think the point is being made that people bought Crucial and it worked which leaves out trying a less known brand and it doesn't work. I myself have Corsair in one of my 780 towers and it works fine. I bought the same Corsair memory for another 780 tower and it did not work. I  don't think it's nonsense to recommend a brand over another, they are just stating what did work for them.

172 Posts

June 4th, 2016 13:00

aintgot1, great reply!

There are many of these Optiplex 780's that are now 'off lease' corporate/business computers & being resold on eBay & many other sites, mainly the mid tower & DT edition, rarely see the SFF edition at the present time. 

Both Dell & Intel published wrong specs for these computers, one can look it up today & find PDF articles that says these has DDR2 RAM (not true) & Intel publishing articles that the Q45/43 chipsets can only run a max of 8GB DDR3 total (another lie). It's 16GB RAM max. 

Dell & Intel (especially Intel) didn't bother with revising their specs to reflect the times, or wasn't correct from the start, as we all know that the Optiplex 780 mid-tower & DT edition can run 16GB total RAM (DDR3-1333MHz). DDR3-1600MHz can be used & what I posted above, but down clocks to 1333MHz. I suppose that it costs less to purchase 1600MHz RAM, as 1333MHz costs more. 

As to other brands, while I use & prefer GSkill when possible, had to RMA two sets (on my dime) & finally suggested 'double sided' RAM, by then was too late, as I discovered Amazon had what I needed, as verified by at least a dozen posters in the first 2-3 pages of reviews & was ranked the #62 most sold RAM on their site. That number will rise, as it costs more to buy direct from Crucial, and Newegg doesn't run promos on this model, because they don't have to. 

Now we know what the deal is, and I had asked in a couple of Topics to provide the Dell P/N, to which no one had an answer, which seemed kind of odd. 

And I'm very happy with my Optiplex 780 DT with the Best of the Intel Core 2 Quad consumer series in the Q9650! While there are 2-3 others that's more expensive & more power hungry, this is still a great 8 year old CPU & about the same age desktop. Hopefully will get another 5 years out of the PC ;-)

Cat

No Events found!