Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2008 00:00

McAfee SecurityCenter?!...slowing down vista?

McAfee takes 40 seconds load on startup? That got me thinking if it also slows down Vista, it doesnt seem to use a lot of resources, around 40mb is average for security software (or is it?), anyone else know anything about McAfee and if it affects gaming perfomance or vista perfomance and/or crashes?
Message Edited by TheNode on 10-15-2008 06:25 PM

21 Posts

October 15th, 2008 00:00

I followed the MS Vista newsgroup since the first public beta was released and learned that I will never put a McAfee, or Norton, product on my machine.

306 Posts

October 15th, 2008 01:00

That makes 2 of us. From past experience, those products really slow things down and cause problems. Norton used to make excellent products such as Norton Utilities and Norton Antivirus, but that was way back in the early 90's Today is a different story. Norton and McAfee have gotten way too bloated for their own good. I use AVG 8.0 Antivirus and like it a lot. Uses very little in a way of system resources and it does a fine job at protecting your computer.

85 Posts

October 15th, 2008 05:00

My McAfee takes exactly 1.5 seconds to load and its ready. I use the quick cleaner all the time. It gets rid of all kinds of junk including the registry and unused system restore points that take up a ton of hard drive space. Never having liked McAfee or the N word before, I thought since it was free for 15 months I'd give it a try. So far very happy with it.

Model: XPS 730
Operating System: 32bit Windows Vista Home Premium
Processor: Core 2 Duo E 8400 3.0 GHZ @ 3.6 GHZ
Graphics Card: Dual 768MB 8800GTX in SLI
Monitor: Samsung 22”
Memory: 4 Gigs Stock Dell Memory@1067
Hard Drive: 750 Gig Sata Drive
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme
Power Supply: 1KW Power Supply
Other Components: Lightscribe Burner

Logitech Z5500's
16,593 3D Mark 06 Score

123 Posts

October 15th, 2008 20:00

Odd, my McAfee (and previous) have loaded pretty quickly and haven't noticed any decrease in my performace.

You could always go with Avast ^_^

313 Posts

October 16th, 2008 15:00

@atbglenn wrote:
That makes 2 of us. From past experience, those products really slow things down and cause problems. Norton used to make excellent products such as Norton Utilities and Norton Antivirus, but that was way back in the early 90's Today is a different story. Norton and McAfee have gotten way too bloated for their own good. I use AVG 8.0 Antivirus and like it a lot. Uses very little in a way of system resources and it does a fine job at protecting your computer.

I agree it slowed my old computer toa slug but now use ESTE SMart Security, much better and does not slow my computer down.

No Events found!