Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 30th, 2006 17:00

Media Card Reader in XPS 400 not working

My 13-1 media card reader has stopped reading my camera memory card. Dell e-mail support said I should try taking off the cover of my computer and re-seating the media reader cable. How complicated is this...I get nervous at the thought of taking the cover off my new computer? Could there by any other solutions. When I first tried to insert the camera memory card I got a message that there was a USB problem, but the device manager does not show a problem device. Is there an internal USB port that this card connects through?

Thanks for any help.

Joy

89 Posts

October 30th, 2006 21:00

Was just playing around with this last night since I'm installing clear side panels so my girl can see all the pretty lights (and her down payment on sooo many things LOL) Anyway it's very easy!!! 1st = is the rig still under warranty??? If so call Dell and have them on the phone doing a whole play by play.. So if you screw something up, they can help you put it back together... USE THIS - LIVE THIS - PRINT THIS: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps400/sm/parts.htm#wp1059853

simple as taking off the side cover, putting rig on it's side, pushing the blue bar towards the front (front being where drive doors open) which allows the black front plate to come off, them find media card reader, follow cable to mobo and try unplugging and plugging back in or whatever else you want to do... Make sense??? Trust me = very easy!!!

worried about static = just ground yourself to the side of the rig. Touch an area that's just metal aka no paint... I'm talking with a customer so I'm sorry about the spelling and such
BRY

19 Posts

October 31st, 2006 01:00

Great Help. Thanks. The computer is just a month old, but I decided I could do it myself. When I got inside, there did not appear to be anything loose but I pushed on both connections (into the media reader and into the back of the computer), closed it up, turned it back on and voila! my card reader was working again. I did notice that the reader was loose in the slot, but others on this forum have had the same problem. I couldn't tighten the screws, so I just left them.

Anyway, I'm back in business. It's always good to have you folks out there to give us who don't know much, the help we need.

Joy
No Events found!