Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2008 12:00

Memory Upgrade to 8 GB Failed on XPS 600

I'm trying to upgrade my XPS 600 to 8 GB of RAM.  According to the owners manual, the XPS 600 max RAM size is 2 GB with a 32 bit OS and 8 GB with a 64 bit OS.  I've recently installed Windows Vista Ultimate x64 and installed 8 GB (4 x 2GB) of RAM.  When I press the power button the system gives me one long beep, three short beeps, then two beeps and won't boot up.  If I remove 4 GB (2 x 2GB) of RAM the system boots up and works fine.

Is there something I'm missing that needs to be done so that the system will boot up when I install the full 8 GB of RAM?  I've updated the BIOS as a possible solution, but the situation remains the same.

Anyone have any suggestions?

4.4K Posts

Guaranteed compatible with the 600:  http://crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=XPS%20600

3.4K Posts

Hello,

Did you buy memory specifically listed for your system model number?

If you read the memory pages at my web site, you will find how important only buying RAM that is listed for the specific Dell model number is.

3 Posts

December 20th, 2008 13:00

Darrell,

Yes, I purchased the correct memory.  I researched the memory required for my computer on both the Dell site and Crucial.com.  Both gave me the same specs.  I purchased 8 GB (4 x 2GB) from Crucial.com.

After installing Windows Vista Ultimate x64, I removed the RAM that was installed in my machine, 2 GB (4 x 512MB).  I installed the newly purchased 8 GB and pressed the power button.  The system gives me 1 long beep, 3 short beeps, then 2 beeps and will not boot up.  If I remove 4 GB (2 x 2GB), then the system boots up fine.  The memory I purchased works because it doesn't matter which pair of the 2 GB boards I purchased is installed, the system will boot up with 4 GB installed but not 8 GB.

51 Posts

December 20th, 2008 14:00

When I upgraded the RAM in my XPS 720 I had to install the RAM in socket one first before installing it in any other socket. Obviously the PC was powered down during installation so I have no clue what sort of witch craft Dell are using here. But if I installed RAM in any other socket first, the PC would only detect 3.75GB. And yes all stick were seated properly.

Again, how the PC knows the installation order when it's switched off is a complete mystery to me. But it made a difference.

3.4K Posts

December 20th, 2008 14:00

Hello again,

The beep code you list means, "1-3-1 through 2-4-4 Memory not being properly identified or used".

If you used the memory adviser tool at the Crucial site and bought the memory listed by it, just give Crucial support a call or email. I have heard just a few problems using the adviser tool but all were solved to the customers satisfaction.

Let us know what the result of your call is please. :emotion-15:

3 Posts

December 22nd, 2008 13:00

Aikiwolfie,

Thanks so much for the tip to install the RAM in socket one first before installing it in any other socket.  It WORKS!!  The suggestion is given in the owner's manual but I didn't realize that I failed to do that.

I removed all memory cards from my computer and then reinstalled them one at a time beginning with socket one.  Pressed the power button and "Viola", it booted up fine and all 8 GB of RAM is recognized. 

Once again, thanks a lot!!

sfarias56

No Events found!