Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

June 27th, 2012 07:00

Memory error

Dell dimension C521 running Windows 7 home premium. Have memory cards in all 4 DIMM slots. Was having crash dump problems. Ran diagnostics and found errors in various memory tests. For instance while testing system memory-MATS received 2F00:00119 showing memory failure at various addresses. This repeated with different error codes at the other memory tests such as the March A test. They were all related to DIMM_2. I switched the DIMM_1 and DIMM_2 memory cards to see if the error was a failed card in DIMM_2, then re-ran the diagnostics and received the same error codes still identifying DIMM_2. I'm afraid if I just buy replacement memory it won't solve the problem. Any advice would be appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 27th, 2012 09:00

Since you changed memory and it still showed the same memory that more or less points to the memory slot rather than the memory, assuming you have the correct memory type for this model. 

However, Dell's have a history of compatibility with some brands of memory (and a certain brand can work in one and not another of the same model).  For this reason we recommend Crucial Memory for non-Dell memory as it is guaranteed to work with Dell's.

Did you try the Dell diagnostics that are (or were) on the hard drive, accessed by F12 at Power On.

HERE is the Crucial listing.  Note that it requires 1.8 Volt memory.

4.4K Posts

June 27th, 2012 09:00

Hi adavisclan,

Welcome to the Community,

If the same memory module is working on DIM 1  and not working on DIMM 2,its not a problem with the memory module.Its a problem with the DIMM 2 slot.

Try using the system without any memory module on DIMM 2 and see if it works normally.

Thank You

June 27th, 2012 14:00

Hello Roshan,

Thanks so much for your suggestion.  I removed the memory module from DIMM_2  as you suggested, and the computer seems to be working now.  That leaves me with another problem.  If the DiMM_2 slot is the problem, is there a fix for that? Since I'm running Windows 7 along with many other programs I need all the memory I can get (i.e. all four slots). Would appreciate any suggestion you could offer.

Thanks again for your help in identifying the culprit.

ADavisClan

June 27th, 2012 14:00

The memory modules in DIMM_1 and_2 are the orinal Samsungs which came with the computer.

4.4K Posts

June 28th, 2012 06:00

Hi adavisclan,

To fix the DIMM_2 slot the motherboard needs to be replaced.The other option would be to buy two 2 GB memory module  and use it in DIM_3 and DIM_4 and let go of the 1 GB memory  modules you've on the system.This way your system will have a total of 4 GB RAM (which is the maximum your system can support).

Note:To take advantage of the system's dual-channel memory bus, a pair of matched memory modules need to be installed in one or more channels. If the pairs are not matched, the system memory bus operates in single-channel mode.So for this reason you should not be using the 1GB memory module which are there on the system.

Use the link below to find a pair of compatible 2 GB memory module:

lt.dell.com/.../lt.aspx

Let me know if you have any further query.

Thank You

No Events found!