Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 6th, 2017 08:00

Memory for T5400

Hi. I have a Dell Precision T5400 that I got with 4 gigs of ddr2, ecc ram. I am looking at a option of getting some more ram from my friend who is working in a company with many old pcs. He is asking if I need ECC or non-ECC ram. Also, this pc will be used for gaming mostly and watching twitch.tv streams.

EDIT: Thanks for help. I just noticed the FBDIMMs are the ones with heat spreader, and those get fairly hot in my system. Does T5400 support regular ECC memory? If no, any advice on cooling the RAM? I noticed the ones closer to chipset heatsink are warmer than the others. I unmounted the memory fan, removed the flexbay (mounting the HDDs with bungee cords in the .25'' bay - much, much quieter now), and I'm currently having the memory fan laid right on top of the modules. Seems to be running colder, but I'd also like to maybe put on some aftermarket heat spreaders if that is possible, or maybe get a cooler for existing FBDIMMs that would mount on top of them.

That would be all I'm asking, the system is running pretty well as is now, no errors, just updated BIOS and put in a GTX 750 Ti, games running great. Speaking of which, SLI maybe?

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

January 6th, 2017 11:00

If you have ECC ram then you need to fill the other slots with ECC.  I don't think you can use Non-ECC either way to begin with as the system was built specifically for ECC Memory.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 6th, 2017 12:00

This system supports fully buffered, DDR-2 ECC RAM only -- you cannot use standard desktop DDR2 memory (which will be non-ECC and unbuffered).

You're not going to find this type of memory from a company getting rid of old desktop PCs - this system uses what amounts to server-type memory.  

Before undertaking anything major with the system, check the mainboard - these systems were well known for bad capacitors and if the mainboard has never been changed on it, chances are very good you'll find at least some bad (leaking) capacitors on it.  

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 7th, 2017 12:00

Sinking upward of $300US into eight obsolete memory modules for a system that's 8-9 years old makes little sense.  

31 Posts

January 7th, 2017 12:00

For gaming I would recommend using a solid state drive for your master (not putting anything on there except what really needs to be there then I'd have another drive preferably a western dIgital black caviar 7200 hdd then I'd tell your friend to get you 8 x 4gb ram strips, here are the specs -

www.mrmemory.co.uk/.../t5400

3 Posts

January 8th, 2017 10:00

T5400 using ECC ram as far as I know.

can be bought cheaply on eb*y as server ram becomes more and more available and less people buy it. I am using 32GB ram on my T5400

No Events found!