Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 5th, 2011 21:00

Memory question for Precision 490 Workstation

I just got a refurbished Precision 490 Workstation and it only came with 2gb RAM, so obviously I want to add more for the 3d modeling I'm doing (3ds Max requires about 8gb for my purposes).

I understand that it has to be DDR2 Fully buffered ECC, but the spec sheet from Dell  says it can be either PC2 4200 (533mhz) or PC2 5300 (667mhz) - and that the latter must have a Full-length heat spreader, and I understand about dual- and quad-channel(s). Okay, all fine and good, seems clear enough.

But, in looking around on the internetz I have become confused as to my options. I notice that firstly, this is potentially going to be more expensive to get adequate memory and have a fast machine than I paid for the machine itself (!), and I do not know whether I can put memory with the correct specifications into my unit that are, for example HP? Does that even matter or is it highly significant? [I've already flubbed up and gotten the wrong/inappropriate memory once, so now I want to be careful and sure so I can get to work!]

Is memory from/for a Dell Precision 690 Workstation as in here something that will work?

I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck as I really need more memory for less and don't want to waste more precious time with ordering and returning memory that won't work.

If anyone has any pointers, tips or information I need before making a decision, I would really appreciate it!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 6th, 2011 17:00

Yes, you can mix speeds although the system will run at the slower speed. If you want to try the Ebay route, be careful. Precisions are picky about memory.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 6th, 2011 06:00

Hi Modelerr,

Crucial says:

Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 (ECC)
Maximum Memory: 32GB 
Slots: 8
Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 4GB per slot.*

That's where forum regulars go for answers, if not necessarily to buy. This system requires ECC memory, which is sort of pricey ($300 for 8GB).

6 Posts

July 6th, 2011 07:00

Actually, I have another question as well (and forgive me if this is n00bish) - since the machine can accept both 533mhz and 667 mhz in dual- or quad-channel configurations, is it possible to have some of each, as long as they are in pairs and installed in the correct order?

6 Posts

July 6th, 2011 07:00

Osprey, thank you for your response!

I see from the spec sheet that is the type that the machine can accept, but could I use HP memory? Or one that says it is for HP/Compaq if it is listed with those specifications (incl. Fully buffered ECC, as it has to be)?

I have found some on eBay and some other places that have the correct specifications but were in HP servers that got updated (so the memory is fine but is being sold), this is why I ask...

And the reason I am looking to those is because, you are so right - $300 for 8gb RAM *is* pricey!! I didn't realise that when I bought the machine :(

6 Posts

July 7th, 2011 08:00

Osprey, thank you for your reply.

I ended up going with PC2-5300 667 8GB (4x2GB) Qimonda (mfr part #HYS72T256420HFA-3S-B), so I will just remove the 2x1GB that came with the machine, and in the future, will get two additional 1GB sticks so that I can have a total of 12GB, in two quad-channel arrangements.

It is my understanding that this will work well if they are both in quad-channel, and the same speed, is that right?

13 Posts

February 1st, 2014 10:00

dont know if you will receive this, but, did it work? I went to a website, using the mfr # you listed, and it says they are unbuffered. Im not sure what the difference is, so Im having problems too. I also have a HP, and the memory card says: 1GB 1Rx8 PC2 5300U 555-12-D1, and was wondering if I could use these in the Dell Precision 690 Workstation. Maybe somebody else who reads this can help..:)

1 Message

May 26th, 2014 01:00

dont know if you will receive this, but, did it work? I went to a website, using the mfr # you listed, and it says they are unbuffered. Im not sure what the difference is, so Im having problems too. I also have a HP, and the memory card says: 1GB 1Rx8 PC2 5300U 555-12-D1, and was wondering if I could use these in the Dell Precision 690 Workstation. Maybe somebody else who reads this can help..:)

I'm pretty sure that something was misread there. The 490/690 workstation accepts only Fully Buffered ram.... as far as I can tell the xeon chip set can't utilize unbuffered ram. I have the Precision 490 and bought these sticks {32GB-KIT-8X4GB-DELL-PRECISION-WORKSTATION-690} They worked like a charm! And they were cheap too ;)

*Edit* If you check his store there are loads of options for other systems too, HP/Compaq, and different sizes. I just decided to max out my mobo because why not?

No Events found!