Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 23rd, 2008 14:00

Memory upgradation

Hi all,

Just for my information i want to know i had ddr2 126 mb with 533 mhz speed.

i added another 1gb ddr2 with 667 mhz speed.

as per my requirement i am using 1gb ddr2 with 667 mhz speed ram.

but i want to know if i add the another 256 mb ddr2 with 533 mhz speed into another slot of my board.

this will enhance the total memory. ?

as per my knowledge if want my both the ram to be used with total 1256 mb output they should possess same mhz speed.

neeeded some guidance on above i think i made myself clear

Thanks in advance.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

mash123

Could you please post the computer model and the version of windows.

Bev.

31 Posts

The total memory wil be listed as 1256MB but you will not get the performance if you mis-match the frequency of the memory modules. If you are using the dual channel mode then the story is different. I would not suggest mis-matching the freq of memory modules

799 Posts

December 23rd, 2008 15:00

The total memory wil be listed as 1256MB but you will not get the performance if you mis-match the frequency of the memory modules. If you are using the dual channel mode then the story is different. I would not suggest mis-matching the freq of memory modules

If the system does recogonize both memory modules, it will down clock the speed to the lowest speed.

The benefit of adding the 256 module, would be offset by the lower clock speed.

As shesagordie suggest, it would be useful to know the system model and OS version.

Hope this helps.

31 Posts

On motherboards if there are 4 memory slots then you can pair the memory modules and make them work in two channels(Dual Channel).For eg If on an INTEL mobo there will be two memory slots with white retaining clips on the sides and two with black. If you place two memory modules in the white clip slots say 1GB 533MHz each and two 512MB 400MHz on the black ones then the memory channel gets tail into Dual mode and the memory does not get down clocked as in the case of mis-matching the memory modules

31 Posts

Regardless of the system model as you (Hanspuppa) said  the system will down clock the freq which is like wasting the 1GB module's freq

67 Posts

What do u mean by dual channel mode

could u please expain on this

799 Posts

Regardless of the system model as you (Hanspuppa) said  the system will down clock the freq which is like wasting the 1GB module's freq

The only purpose for asking for the model number and OS version, would be to see what memory would be compatible with his system, and how much he could install.

You can never have too much information when trying to diagnose a computer issue.

Just a thought.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

What do u mean by dual channel mode

could u please expain on this

Not all of Dell's models support dual channel memory, as already requested, it would be helpful, to post the computer model and version of windows.

Bev.

31 Posts

December 23rd, 2008 17:00

i guess your right . . . it would be better if we knew the model of the computer

No Events found!