Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2008 16:00

Mini View /Safely remove hardware XPS420

Good evening,

I recently used a usb pen drive to back up some data and used the "Safely Remove hardware" button before removing the stick. However the icon is still present and now wants me to safely remove XPS miniview. I have tried rebooting the computer but the safely remove icon still wants me to remove XPS miniview. How do I tell it that I don't want to and make the icon go away. Many thanks

Andy

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

September 18th, 2008 17:00

Dazeoff,

The icon is always present on my XPS 630 running Vista.

17 Posts

September 18th, 2008 18:00

Many thanks for the reply. This icon has only just appeared today on my machine except when I have used a USB stick inthe past. I don't recall ever being asked to stop and safely remove the XPS miniviewer. I feel pretty sure it shouldn't be there but I take on board your reply and will just ignore it if this is really the case.

Thaks again for taking the time to respond.

Andy

289 Posts

September 19th, 2008 01:00

In the future you don't have to use safely remove hardware with a thumb drive. You can just pull it out.

1 Message

November 23rd, 2008 07:00

I'm glad to know I'm not the only person w/ the issue.  I agree that, while it seems to have zero effect on functioning, the tray icon shouldn't be there and the miniviewer definitely shouldn't be seen as a removeable.  I contacted Dell technical support and the rep. said, "so your computer is functioning normally?" and, essentially, became dismissive of the issue.  I run a pretty clean computer and I, like you, don't want the tray icon to be there if it isn't necessary.  If anyone has a solution, please post it :o)  Or, better yet, if Dell actually reads these boards, please offer up a solution.

-Jeff

799 Posts

November 23rd, 2008 08:00

Hello j.blankenship and Dazeoff, I, like you, don't like to see all those icons in the taskbar. While Dell represemtatives say this is normal, it may be. I have come to not dispute anything Dell says, because you simply want win. Here is a work-around for your issue. Open the Taskbar and Start Menu in the Control Panel. Click on the Notification Tab, make sure the "Hide Inactive Icons" is checked. Then click on customize, and in the upper portion of the window, in the current icons section, you will see the Safely Remove Hardware. Click on this and an option menu will appear with the option to Hide. Choose this and then exit back to the desktop. The Safely Remove Hardware icon should now be gone. You may have to do this from time to time because it may appear at some future time again. Hope this helps.

33 Posts

June 8th, 2010 13:00

I've done what you said,  & the icon is still there, now what?

1 Message

November 1st, 2013 15:00

i want to uninstall xpsmini viewer from my computer

27 Posts

November 8th, 2013 19:00

My XPS 420 is not currently running so the information is from my short term memory which isn't too good. If I recall you can go into the Device manager and turn it off, but if I remember further you had to disable it in the BIOS settings first or vice versa.

No Events found!