Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 8th, 2010 23:00

Monitor 1703FP low Resolution will not change.

Using Dell Dimension 4600C with Monitor 1703FP. The desktop totally hang (probably due to virus) and the system was reformatted and XP Home was loaded back from the restore CDs from Dell. The Monitor now shows the following :

Settings: Default Monitor ON

Resolution: 640x480 with Color Quality : Med (16).

Following the normal prescribed procedures did not allow me to change the Resolution to higher, like 1280x1024,  (the slider will not move).

Prior to the reformatting, when the desktop was working, the screen resolution was proper. It appears a Monitor driver is missing. On which Dell

restore CD would such a driver reside ?

Any suggestions for a solution to this problem will be much appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 9th, 2010 04:00

The Drivers and Utilities disc should have the video driver.  If not the downloads for the 4600C  HERE have the integrated video drivers.

Also, since you installed did you install the Intel (motherboard) chipset drivers?  That is key to a successful install.  On an install the correct and required install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install chipset drivers (3) Install device drivers including sound, video, ethernet, etc.

The chipset drivers are also on the Dell downloads if needed.  If they were skipped install them, restart the PC and then install the Intel integrated video drivers.

May 9th, 2010 11:00

You have already mentioned the reason, no video driver installed. I advice you to use the website indicated above even if you have the disc since it will probably have an updated driver.

3 Posts

May 12th, 2010 14:00

Thanks fireberd for your response. Appreciate it.

3 Posts

May 13th, 2010 12:00

Thanks fireberd for your quick response to my posting. Appreciate it. 

No Events found!