Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 29th, 2009 06:00

Monitor Black Out Using HDMI port (Studio 540/540s, Studio XPS 435MT)

For Studio 540/540s, downgrade the bios to 1.0.9. 

For Studio XPS 435MT, update the bios to 1.1.2 or try 1.0.2. <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

5 Posts

September 29th, 2009 09:00

Hear ye, Hear ye I have this problem behind me!  As I mentioned in my previous post, I received a different graphics card from Dell.  The Key word here is different not a replacement card.  Obvisouly there is some type of conflict with the ATI video cards and this model computer.  The new GeForce 9800GT card does not have this problem and I am finally happy.  I hope the rest of you get a new card or the BIOS update that Dell is supposed to be working on.  I'd like to thank everyone here and Chris for the information.

How much did you have to pay for it?

1 Message

October 3rd, 2009 11:00

i have same problem with my studio xps435mt .. waiting for the updated bios version on the meantime im using the analog port.

hope dell tech hurry up with the solution.

October 15th, 2009 17:00

Hello there.  I have had the same problem and have the solution.  It's the boot order in the BIOS.  If USB is set as the first device in the BIOS, the plugged in HDMI cable detects the TV's communication query/response down the HDMI cable as a possible USB boot device and errors out.  As the "USB" device "responded"  to a possible boot, it does not try the next item, but fails out.

Change your CD/DVD drive to first boot, then your Hard Drive as 2nd boot, USB 3rd.  Then you are OK

2 Posts

October 16th, 2009 13:00

that did not work for me.  i tried changing everything in my boot order and it still didn't work.  i was thinking just turning off usb and trying that but haven't as of yet due to laziness.  i'm not sure how you got it to work for you.  that all you changed was the boot order from dell's default settings?  i still get the black screen with 0033 on it when i boot that way.  any other suggestions?

4 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 16:00

Has anyone tried the 1.1.3 BIOS for this problem?  It's dated 9/29/09.

BIOS Release Notes
===================================================================
===================================================================

Systems: Dell Studio XPS 435MT
Version: 1.1.3
Release Date: 09/25/2009

Fixes/Enhancements:
1. Fixed Panasonic TV can't show Dell Logo issue.

------

Certainly the 0033 error doesn't show the Dell Logo, maybe this is the fix?

5 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 18:00

I just updated to the 1.1.3 bios dated 9/29/09. 

I turned off my PC and unplugged it, unplugged the 24" monitor that was making it work, and pressed the OFF button for 5 seconds to make sure everything was cleared out.  I then plugged the power back into the PC, and booted the computer. 

If I repeated the same steps prior to the upgrade, I got the 0033 error.  I am NO LONGER geting the 0033 error.  Apparently that was the fix.

Now I can use my 24" monitor with my laptop docking station instead of having it plugged in and turned off sitting next to my 58" Panasonic plasma.

Thanks you for posting the message about the bios availability.  You just got 5 stars for that post.

3 Posts

November 27th, 2009 08:00

Well seems that the Studio users have their fix but what about the Inspiron 545 users.

Is Dell working on a much waited for fix for us or have we just been forgotten about?

3 Posts

November 30th, 2009 09:00

Just got off the phone from tech support yet again  confirm that Dell are aware of the problem with the 545 and are still working on it but can‘t give any form of E.T.A.

Its been about 6 months now. Is there anyway to contact the development team to find out how much longer before its fixed?

The HDMI socket is now getting slightly loose from all the inserting of the cable so think I will have to buy a switch as some other have done. Don’t really want to get a mechanical one but without knowing what is the fundamental cause of the problem can’t be sure that the electronic switch will work. Is there anyway of getting some understanding of what is causing the problem?

14 Posts

January 13th, 2010 23:00

The USB to HDMI Adapter supports up to six simultaneous displays, including widescreen displays, extending your desktop and your horizons. The USB 2.0 to DVI / VGA or HDMI Adapter enables you to connect up to 6 monitors (using five separate adapter), LCD monitor, TV or to your PC or laptop projectors. You can use an extended desktop or a larger / different from your main screen display. By using USB 2.0 technology without having to open the computer or a second VGA card-related compatibility issues struggle. Extend your desktop has never been so simple in line with USB to DVI/VGA/HDMI Adapter! Including software installed on the adapter, plug your own way to calculate the dual supervision. Now you can easily extend the 600 display spreadsheets, read e-mail to send e-mail and a monitor to view each other, so that there is no second computer, or expand your graphics workstation or mirror monitor multi-screen presentation attachment. View large spreadsheets across two screens with display continuity.

9 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 21:00

I have the 540 with the graphics card in question and none of the sugestions have worked, I already have the bios version 1.1.3. I am not buying more cables because hdmi to hdmi is supposed to work. Do you have any other solutions to offer or more importantly a real answer to the problem. Unfortunately I can't return the machine, I bought it in Nov. I just recently purchased a new tv and was looking forward to hooking it up to the computer.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 24th, 2010 13:00

I already have the bios version 1.1.3.
* You were supposed to back down to 1.0.9 and then test.

9 Posts

February 24th, 2010 19:00

To Chris M,

I did go back to 1.0.9 but it didn't work. I have since been able to get video on my tv by connecting the hdmi cable into the hdmi port on the graphics card. I did not know the machine had two hdmi's. Everything is the same as my desktop and in display it says sony tv. I still don't have sound though. I'll try going back to 1.0.9 with the current configuration and see if I get sound too.

9 Posts

February 24th, 2010 20:00

I downgraded to 1.0.9 but nothing has changed. As I just said I now have video but still no sound on tv and on the lower right hand of the screen it says

Windows 7

Build 7600

This copy of Windows is not genuine

I got concerned because I have no idea what that means and I don't want to have to deal with anything later so last night I uninstalled 1.0.9 and reinstalled 1.13. Do you have any suggestion about the sound issue? Thank you.

9 Posts

February 24th, 2010 21:00

I now have video and sound ^_^ .

This is what I did:

I plugged hdmi cable into hdmi connection on graphics card (ATI Radeon 4350) got video, went into connect external display and saw "sony tv".

Went into Catalyst control to configure monitors (first I downloaded latest version of this but don't know if that had anything to do with it) , also saw "sony tv" listed.

After google search found windows 7 forum and downloaded " HDMI_R242" driver from realtek site. Went into realtek HD audio manager and saw an additional

"HDMI Input" w/ little tv picture and living rm setup. Set as default device and tested speaker configuration and heard sound coming out of my speakers attached to tv, voila!

Played some music and it was loud and clear. Finally reinstalled bios 1.13 or 1.1.3 whatever it is, got rid of windows not genuine thing, tested sound again, everything is fine now.

Made many mistakes along the way but I'm happy now. I couldn't have done it without the help of ppl in dell, avs and win 7 forums, thank you. I'm sure this would've taken much longer to sort out if I called tech support or something.

I hope this info helps others.

good night

March 21st, 2010 15:00

/i am running a SX270 on a monitor with a DVI converter to the ordinary analoge video connector.

I moved the PC to the lounge as a second computer and to watch iplayer on my 32inch LG LCD TV but after connecting the dvi/analoge converter to the ordinary video wire which plugs in the TV (the old HP530 connects fine) I power up the SX270 and i get the Dell Logo and then the XP logo but then i get 'No Signal' coming up. It is like as soon as the machine starts the video card turns off.

I have plugged my 14inch monitor in and it works fine.

Is there feed back down the vga cable that tells the PC what monitor it is connected to  ?

Why does it do different things for different screens ??

Many thanks 

No Events found!