Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

September 9th, 2010 14:00

Monitor Shows Crazy Lines! Please Help

My desktop is having issues. My guess is that it's the video card or the motherboard. I have a Dimension E510.

When I start up my computer, I get this:

Not more than 10 seconds later (before I can see the desktop), the monitor loses a signal. I tried running in setup (BIOS) and I got this:

This is what indicates to me that it's not a software problem. Now, I can start up in safe mode and pull my files off, but there is still major monitor distortion.

So what could this be? Is there a way to figure out if it's a video card vs. motherboard vs something else? If it's a motherboard, probably time to get a new computer. Hopefully it's just the video card and I can get a new one. Hopefully it'd be one that I could use in my next computer once i upgrade everything else.

Thanks so much to anyone that can help!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 9th, 2010 14:00

Could also be a failing monitor. Try another one to check. Run all the Dell Diagnostics to check the hardware. You can uninstall the video drivers and see what happens when you reboot. If that makes it go away, update or reinstall the video drivers. If that doesn't work, replace the video card. You do not want a video card you can move to a new computer. You have to get one that is compatible with your E510 computer. A new computer will have a better and newer card for windows 7.

13 Posts

September 9th, 2010 15:00

Can a computer run without a video card? Will it show basic 800 x 600 resolution or will it just plain not work?

2 Posts

September 9th, 2010 16:00

I'd try a different monitor, If the other monitor works, try the 'bad' on a different PC. If it doesn't work there either, quickly call Dell to get a replacement if still under warranty. They will do nothing for you if it is even 1 day out of warranty. My monitor knew exactly when the warranty expired and the monitor expired shortly thereafter. Dell would do nothing about it.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 9th, 2010 16:00

Can a computer run without a video card? Will it show basic 800 x 600 resolution or will it just plain not work?

keliason

Try a different PCIe x16 video card, I had the same issue last month with a Dell replacement 'socalled refurbished' 8600GT PCIe x16 video card, 30 days after a Dell Techie installed it.  

Buying and installing a new 9500GT card was the answer to my issue.

To check the monitor, the motherboard has a integrated VGA port on the back panel, shut the system down, open the case, remove the PCIE x16 card and connect the monitor's cable to the VGA port and reboot the e510 and see what happens.

See HERE

Bev.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 10th, 2010 06:00

The checkerboard pattern says to me that its the GPU overheating due to a failed GPU fan.

Unfortunately this kind of damage usually results in permanent crazy lines.

Time to get a new video card.

288 Posts

September 10th, 2010 06:00

I've had this issue before on other systems and it's generally been a power or gpu problem. Doublecheck all connections to the gpu and ensure it's properly seated into the slot. To rule out power and if you have access to another graphics card try installing another gpu to see if the problem still persists. If it does you've ruled out the card and narrowed it down to the power supply or connections. Good Luck.

5 Posts

September 10th, 2010 08:00

I've seen that before happened on my video card when the fan died.  (Started squeeling and slowing) Hate to say but in my personal opinion its a fried Vid card. 

No Events found!