Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 26th, 2010 10:00

Monitor loses signal, brand new system

Hi all,

got a brand new Inspiron last week, but never managed to see  Windows 7 completely loaded.

Computer starts with screen ok, 

Windows starts and I login.

Desktop loading and screen goes blank, Enter Power Save Mode

I checked with other screen, but here just no signal.

I can here the desktop continuing to load but I can't see.

Tried loading in safe mode etc. no success.

I guess it's the video card, but it's brand new.

Anybody any ideas what I need to tell Dell support and what they need to do?

Problems is, I am sitting in France and need to talk to Dell France and my French isn't perfect.

Thanks for any help you can provide

881 Posts

To do this first shut the system down. Unplug the power. Depress the power button for 15 - 20 seconds. Open the case . BEFORE you touch anything touch your hand to an unpainted area of the inside of the case ( the sheet metal) that will diaspate any static charge you might have. Identify the video card and remove the cable that runs from the monitor. Keep touching the inside of the case for good measure. Look at the back of the case to see what holds the card in place, some sort of bracket. Remove that. Gently remove the video card from it's slot. Then gently but firmly replace the card. Put the thing back together, attach the cables, plug it back in and see what happens.

While you have the case open look around to see if all cables are connected, nothing loose etc.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

4 Posts

I will try and report back

thanks for advise

Robby

881 Posts

Have you tried reseating the video card? I had to do that when I got my new XPS 8100.

Just a thought.

Jeff

4 Posts

No, I haven't done anything to the card.

Would you be able to tell me what I should do here?

Do I need to watch or be careful about something?

thanks

Robby

4 Posts

May 26th, 2010 11:00

That was it. I guess it also didn't help that little fan was lying on the floor of the case

All working now.

Thanks a lot for your quick and great help

Robby

881 Posts

May 26th, 2010 11:00

Glad it worked out for you! But with a new system Dell Tech Supt. is the best bet. Work on your French! lol

Have a good day.

Jeff

No Events found!