Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 30th, 2009 13:00

Mpeg-2(dvd decoder) and video card upgrade

hello to all,

any and all help would be greatly appreicate it.  So i have an inspiron 5150  running on window xp. My problem is that my windows media player is not playing any and all my movies.  It will play music cds or music already loaded and saved to the playlist but it will not play any videos.  It keeps giving me an error that there isn't any mpeg-2 dvd decoder on my pc.  I did try to download the mpeg-2 from deskshare but it was not compatible with windows media.  Once it was install later it gave me another error that I need to upgrade the video card.   i was wondering if i reinstalled windows media if that would correct the problem or if there is a way that I can obtain such from dell.  Please help and thanks in advance.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

August 30th, 2009 15:00

You can buy and download a decoder from Microsoft; several are available. The cost is around $15.

Alternatively, you could buy or install third-party DVD playback software like PowerDVD. OEM copies can be found on eBay for $15 shipped.

2 Intern

• 

270 Posts

August 30th, 2009 15:00

I assume that your computer is a dimension 5150 not an inspiron ... i looked up on dell support site and there is a program by Sonic that should be on one of your back up cds ... probably the "drivers and applications" cd. 

you can download it from dell here

Windows XP doesn't have a dvd decoder built into it so Dell usuaully ships a 3rd party app for it on it's machines.  The 5150 lists a Sonic brand app in the dell support site.

Windows 7 has a dvd decoder built into it i noticed when i upgraded all my machines to it.

2 Intern

• 

4.4K Posts

August 31st, 2009 09:00

Cyberlink (Power DVD also sell the codec pack you need for WMP. For XP:

UK:    http://www.cyberlink.com/store/powerdvdse/buy_en_GB.html

US: http://www.cyberlink.com/store/powerdvdse/buy_en_US.html

There is also an H624 plugin, allowing High definition playback in WMP

No Events found!