Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 26th, 2011 11:00

My DVD-RW and CDRW drives do not work

Hi, I am going nuts after having a PC virus (now gone) both my drives do not work and I have tried everything I can think of to get them going. Problem is the drivers are no longer installed and when I go to reinstall using the latest drivers I get this message "the required section was not found in the INF"

Tried uninstalling/reinstalling and diagnostic software, nothing works and as I have no drives I can not use the application disk. So far all other software and devices work normally.

Any ideas?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 30th, 2011 04:00

Ok, so let's try installing the GEAR drivers. Go here and download the installer for 32-bit and 64-bit systems, and run that.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 31st, 2011 04:00

Do you hear sound through the headphones? This is a jack on the front panel, correct?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 26th, 2011 12:00

Those drivers are included in Windows. They are not separate drivers. You need to boot to your windows disk and do a repair or reinstallation. Follow the directions to boot to the window disk for your version of windows. Are you sure you are virus free?

10 Posts

December 26th, 2011 13:00

Thanks Mary, I am fairly confident of being virus free, have run Avira antivirus, superantispyware and I

IObit malware fighter. Will restart PC and try to boot with windows.

10 Posts

December 26th, 2011 14:00

Could not fix the problem using the Vista software or the Dell application disk. Annoyingly the drives work when booting from reinstallation cd but can not fix anything.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 26th, 2011 17:00

I had a problem like that once -- iTunes had installed a filter driver that went awry and blocked access to my HD-DVD/Blu-ray drive. Have you installed anything that might have done that?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 26th, 2011 21:00

It might have installed filter drivers that interfere with the proper operation of your optical drive. The uninstall may have left them in place.

10 Posts

December 26th, 2011 21:00

I did download a dvd ripper but uninstalled it as I think it had the virus atached.

14 Posts

December 27th, 2011 01:00

iTunes had installed a filter driver that went awry and blocked access to my HD-DVD/Blu-ray drive.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 27th, 2011 04:00

Hi Simlaw2,

Please try the Microsoft CD/DVD upper and lower filter trick (link below).

10 Posts

December 27th, 2011 12:00

Thanks Osprey, Tried the fix and MS identified a problem but could not fix it. The message said that some problems were detected and fixed but verification shows the problem still exists.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 28th, 2011 05:00

Ok, so we're on the right track. What you'll need to do is perform the registry edit manually. Go to this link and scroll down to find the section Let me fix it myself. Follow those instructions and that should work.

10 Posts

December 29th, 2011 14:00

Run into a problem here, the registry subkey does not exist. Perhaps this is the problem and it got deleted somehow during the general mayhem. Any ideas on a fix?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 29th, 2011 18:00

So neither upper or lower filters? Check this for me. Go to the %systemroot%\System32\Drivers folder and tell me if you see any GEARAspiWDM.sys file in there. This is sometimes installed by iTunes.

10 Posts

December 29th, 2011 22:00

I can not see GEARAspiWDM.sys file. I know iTunes can be a bit invasive like quicktime, I don't like either of them  (although they are installed)

No Events found!