Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2015 22:00

My Dell Downloads "Service Tag is already registered or is invalid."

Hello All,

When I try to register the Dell Studio XPS 9100 in My Dell Downloads I receive the error, "Service Tag is already registered or is invalid." I recently purchased the unit from someone, and the transfer of ownership has already gone through, and is now under my name, but I still get the error message, "Service Tag is already registered or is invalid." Ovbiously the former owner registered the unit in My Dell Downloads.

How can I get the unit unregistered so I can then re-register it under my name in My Dell Downloads?

In My Download Locker I see some of my other units, but no way to unregister or remove them. Thus I do not believe that the previous owner can remove the 9100 from THEIR My Dell Downloads account.

Would customer service be able to correct this issue?

Thanks in advance!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 15th, 2015 06:00

This error also occurs when you have reached the download limit for the software.

Usually 2 or 3 copies.

May 23rd, 2015 22:00

Me personally... I've not reached the limit... since I am the original owner and have NEVER downloaded anything... but same error!!! NOW WHAT?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 24th, 2015 04:00

Someone Got your tag via WMI remotely.  Registered it. And Downloaded the maximum.  OR this is not supported for your Dell model because its too old.  This is another reason why Dell warns not to post your service Tag publicly here.

May 24th, 2015 04:00

We're you talking to me or the OP? if me... no, no one already downloaded anything, service tag was not listed here... besides, DELL would say that... exceeded maximum number of downloads.

No Events found!