Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 28th, 2012 14:00

My Dell ST2220L Monitor has no screen resolution that fits the screen.

I have just recently moved, and before the move, my ST2220L was running at 1680x1050 and it fit the screen perfectly (this is what it said was the recommended resolution and there were none higher. After i moved, when i booted up my monitor, instead the 1920x1080 was the new recommended, and 1680x1050 wasn't available anymore (it's not recommended, and it doesn't fit the screen). Neither 1920x1080 nor 1680x1050 fit the screen and i game often and it's annoying having to have my games in windowed mode because they stretch off-screen and i can't see the HUD. would appreciate help.

8 Posts

November 14th, 2012 17:00

Well that was a slightly dumb solution.

I went into my monitor settings and found the horizontal fit option and toggled it up abit and the screen squeezed in just fine.

i feel a bit stupid now.

113 Posts

August 29th, 2012 00:00

Hi,

Download and install the updated Chipset drivers first and then the video drivers for the computer from the support site. It is important for the computer to function effectively.

The link for support site is:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection?fkey=Drivers_PS

1. Enter the Service Tag of the computer.
  2. Click Submit.
  3. Select the corresponding Operating System and download the chipset and the video drivers.

The steps to install the drivers are:

1. Download the drivers.
  2. Double-Click the downloaded file, click “Run”.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions and complete the installation.

Restart the computer for the changes to take effect.

Please post back the results.

8 Posts

August 29th, 2012 16:00

I went to the support site and figured out about the multiple chipset and video drivers, I wasn't sure which to download so i downloaded the INTEL_CHIPSET-SOFTWARE-INSTA_A00_R284186.exe chipset driver and the

Radeon HD 6870 video driver.

Did i get the right ones? My graphics card is, according to dxdiag.exe, an "AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series"

If i did, i clicked both EXEs and followed the instructions, and after a restart the same problem was occuring, with the resolution i had selected i couldn't see about an inch off of the left side of the screen.

The Chipset driver asked me to install it, but the video driver didn't, so i went into the folder that the video driver downloaded and i ran setup.exe located inside of it (XGMDY) and installed it. I am now resetting the computer to see if it worked.

8 Posts

August 29th, 2012 16:00

It didn't, the problem is still occuring after both the chipset and driver that i had chosen had been installed.

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

August 30th, 2012 14:00

It didn't, the problem is still occuring after both the chipset and driver that i had chosen had been installed.

Do you have the Catalyst Control Center, which is part of your graphics card software,  if your card is a AMD, there should be an option to scaling your screen size.

8 Posts

August 30th, 2012 14:00

I think i do, i searched up catalyst control center in my start menu and came up with a .EXE but clicking it did nothing.

Is there a way to boot it up correctly or an installation method for it?

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

August 31st, 2012 04:00

I think i do, i searched up catalyst control center in my start menu and came up with a .EXE but clicking it did nothing.

Is there a way to boot it up correctly or an installation method for it?

Found this HERE for you. Also a HDMI cable can cause your problem, if so, then try using a DVI cable. I have the same monitor as you, with the DVI cable i have no problems, I did have with the HDMI cable.

8 Posts

August 31st, 2012 13:00

I have a VGA cable attatched to the monitor and a VGA-DVI cable adaptor to get to my computer. Should i just get a full on DVI cable?

8 Posts

August 31st, 2012 13:00

Also, clicking the AMD Catalyst Control Center on the right click desktop menu does nothing, the same as the .EXE

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

September 2nd, 2012 05:00

I have a VGA cable attatched to the monitor and a VGA-DVI cable adaptor to get to my computer. Should i just get a full on DVI cable?

Better off running the DVI from your monitor to your system. Also, are you using a graphics card, or are you using the graphics card port on your motherboard. Graphics card are better, you can download the latest software for them.

8 Posts

September 11th, 2012 15:00

I do not understand what you mean, there is a VGA plugged into my monitor and it runs to one of the little hunks of plastic that converts the tip of the vga cable to a DVI cable, so it's able to be plugged into my computer. There are only two dvi ports on the back of my computer as far as i'm aware and on the back of my monitor, there is only a HDMI and a VGA cable input.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 30th, 2013 04:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with same issue or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                            

No Events found!