Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2012 15:00

My Dimension 9150 is unnecessarily running out of memory

Hello.

I need a little bit of help and don't really know where else to go.

My elderly Dimension 9150 is running out of memory and I want to fix it on the cheap as it runs well (except that W7 SP1 kills it dead!)

It has two 160GB (Effectively 149GB for some reason) drives configured in RAID1 and only 12GB of usable memory left.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional and want to convert to RAID0 and free up one of the disks - assuming that W7 will still work.

How do I do that?

I seem to remember that I had issues installing W7 and had to go for RAID1 to make it work in the first place.

The RAID controller is a Intel ICH7R/DH - 82801G.

Is there any way of switching the RAID off and just using the disks sequentially (even if it means stabbing the thing with a rusty screwdriver) or should I throw in the the towel in and buy something new?

If someone can point me at how I change the RAID configuration that would do as a starter as I've already backed up and taken a system image of the offending PC - so I can always unpick anything I do wrong.

If you can help it would be appreciated - I'm not too techy so would appreciate it if any info was kept simple :-)

Thanks

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 19th, 2012 16:00

A bigger hard drive like this may be in order. Prices are finally coming down, although they're still sharply higher than prior to the Thai floods.

160gb doesn't go very far with Windows 7.

3 Posts

January 23rd, 2012 13:00

Thanks for the suggestion - but I don't want to spend that sort of money renovating a PC that won't run SP1.

I'd probably be better off buying something new.

If I can get it to run as RAID0 and give me the full 320GB of the two drives it currently has then that should do all I need for the foreseeable future.

Can anyone tell me how to reconfigure it as RAID0?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 23rd, 2012 16:00

If SP1 won't install, something is wrong; I am thinking it is a lack of hard drive space.

My 2350 is older, and SP1 installed without incident.

3 Posts

February 4th, 2012 14:00

Thanks.

Sp1  instals - however it renders the PC useless.

After several attempts and re-imaging my Pc a number of times I gave up.

Once SP1 is installed My e-mails won't download to outlook if they exceed a certain size and the same applies for any software downloads.

Overall performance was seriously impaired with speed slowing to a snail's pace.

Have come to a decision - thanks for your help but upgrading the pc at considerable expense will do me no good - I'm buying a laptop and will strip most of the applicatrions off my desktop - I'll just use it for media copying and daughter's homework.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 4th, 2012 15:00

Glad we could be of help.

No Events found!